Fossils in my neighborhood?!?

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently in between detectors so I tend to do a lot of researching and exploring for new spots now. My last outing before the rain and snow, I decided to go on a little hike through some woods in my neighborhood and followed a small tributary up from a creek. While stepping over a log in the creek I nearly stepped right on a huge scalloped shell (8 inches across and 7 inches high). Considering this is a freshwater creek, I was a little confused to how it got there. I began to notice that the banks of the creek just a short distance upstream were full of shells of different shapes and sizes. I took some photos of the big shell and sent them to a paleontologist at the nearby university. She confirmed that it is a Chesapecten Jeffersonius about 4 million years old!!! Of course, I went back with a basket and collected many more types and quite a few intact. So far, I have been able to pull out some very nice specimens of Balanus Concavus (Barnacle), Dallarca (Ark Shell), Lunatia Heros (Moon Snail), Turritella Plebia (Snail), Dentalium Attenuatum (Tusk Shell), Ostrea Carolinensis (Oyster), Astrhelia Palmata (Coral), Melosia Staminea (Astarte Clam), and all shapes and sizes of the Chesapecten Jeffersonius (Scallop Shell). Some of them are even intact with a top and bottom!

Attachments

• IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    745.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 112
Upvote 15

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find-congratulations! More shells should be exposed after heavy rains so you might want to check the site from time to time. You have some fine specimens there

reich4313

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops...just noticed the fossil forum. How do I move this there?

I am a newbie too so don't know how you move this but wanted to say-That is awesome! Must be a pretty exciting find. I also think I saw corals and such in the streambed photo you sent. You will probbly also be able to find some prehistoric sharks teeth!

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rock and fossil hunting have been a life long hobbie mine. My wife has even greatly enjoyed searching select geologic setting, many which are fossil or gem rich.

Enjoy Metal Detecting, and a look at the rock formations you pass by during your outings!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, the Official fossil of Virginia. Keep an eye out for sharks teeth and vertibrae

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the sharing these unusual finds. Quite interesting!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some cool stuff man. Thanks for posting.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasures do not only come in the form of metal. Those are some great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread