Found a Buckle, What Kind Though?

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLVED - Found a Buckle, What Kind Though?

Found this buckle on Sunday, at an old park here in NJ that goes back to the 1800's.

There doesn't appear to be any writing or inscription on the piece. I'm guessing the age is late 1800's - early 1900's, as that's when most activity took place at this park. As you'll see in the pics, the buckle is on the smaller side, which first led to me think shoe buckle, but, it's too heavy & thick, IMO. Now I'm thinking a kids belt buckle. Don't know.

Can anyone help with approximate age, type & usage?

Joe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've not seen that before, but I wonder if it was meant to be a buckle cover, to keep the horse's tail from getting caught in the buckle?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think Duggap is correct... it has the basic form of the 1879-patent version of buckle-cover/buckle-shield, although the shape of this one's central part is more "ornate" than what is seen on typical ones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have anything else? Or did the first two posters get it right? Let me know, so I can mark it SOLVED, or keep it posted :)

Joe

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
They are right in its ID .. it is a buckle shield. I would like to see a photo of the back of it when you get a chance though. Thanks.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Njnydigger wrote:
> I'm guessing the age is late 1800's - early 1900's, as that's when most activity took place at this park.
> Can anyone help with approximate age, type & usage?

As I mentioned, it has the basic form of the 1879-patent version of (horseharness) buckle-shield/buckle-cover -- which was solid-cast brass. Of course, things tend to be manufactured for quite a few years after they were invented and patented. But in 1892, another inventor patented a simpler-to-manufacture version, which was made out of stamped sheetbrass. Based on the number of stamped sheetbrass specimens which have showed up here at TreasureNet, in comparison to the relatively few solid-cast ones which show up here, the sheetbrass version seems to have been more popular (possibly due to being cheaper-priced) than the old solid-cast brass version ...and apparently, caused the solid-cast version to stop being manufactured. So, I think the "heyday" of the 1879-patented version you found fits pretty neatly into the timeline you mentioned for the park you dug it in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread