What's new

found alongside other fur trade era items-any ideas?

scratcher

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
463
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
I was wondering if anyone could id these objects? They appear similar in function with the back design. Horse tack? Being new at metal id, what is the best way to id silver? Does the one piece appear to be silver? I'm assuming its not because of the pitting, but I almost got fooled on a gold ring earlier this year. I'm usually pretty careful, but you can see where the second piece was rather rudely introduced to my shovel and bent out of round. Any help is appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • relics 007.webp
    relics 007.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 466
  • round things 007.webp
    round things 007.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 490
  • relics 007.webp
    relics 007.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 463
  • round things 004.webp
    round things 004.webp
    78.9 KB · Views: 469
  • round things 001.webp
    round things 001.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 466
  • round things 003.webp
    round things 003.webp
    66.3 KB · Views: 473
  • round things 005.webp
    round things 005.webp
    84.6 KB · Views: 495
  • round things 008.webp
    round things 008.webp
    68.5 KB · Views: 467
I'm just guessing but that first one looks like a button to me and the pitting resembles quite a few things I've found that are made out of aluminum. The second one looks like part of a pretty old ring. Have a merry Christmas.

DANGLANGLEY
 
Upvote 0
At first glance, I was thinking the silver/aluminum piece was a modern button too. What doesn't look right to me though are the two rusted off postlike structures that are present on the second piece also. I'm nearly sure that the brasslike object wasn't a ring. The first piece could certainly be a button I just don't understand the design. Normally I wouldn't ask about these items, but the site has produced lots of old goodies and nothing that I could id as modern.Not even a piece of foil. The silverish thing probably is a more recent deposit though. Thanks for the reply.
 
Upvote 0
I dont know but I recently dug an item that looks just like the one on the right??
 

Attachments

  • whatsitfront.webp
    whatsitfront.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 366
  • whatsitback.webp
    whatsitback.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
The silverish object looks like a cap of some sort, the object protruding from the back (from the angles in the pictures) look like its not part of the top??
Not sure on the second item although you bent it.. malleable metal...
J2
 
Upvote 0
Also could be silver guilted tin or iron back button. Would account for the rust anyhow.
 
Upvote 0
I agree, the one item looks like the top area of an old ring with the rounded thin bottom part of the circle broken off. Monty
 
Upvote 0
I think both are leather docoratives... tacks with two fold over points - one on each side.

Um... two prong tacks. Also called "Spots" in the business...

1011-005.jpg
 
Upvote 0
The leather idea is what I was thinking also. On the second piece it looks like it would be elevated and a band or strip of leather could then be inserted through this opening for some purpose. You can see what appears like rusted metal imbedded in the 'prongs' that may have been what was inserted through the leather. Just guessing though. Thanks for the input so far.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom