What's new

Found Battlefield

BosnMate

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2010
Messages
6,942
Reaction score
8,441
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The news story says the archaeologist have spent three years trying to find this location. I spent a lot longer than that, using information from every source I could find I hiked those hills dozens of times, actually found 3 defunct pot plantations, their water had dried up and the plants had all died, but there was hundreds of feet of hose, and I got that and packed it off. There were a couple of times that my feet hurt so bad I was wondering if I'd make it back to the truck. I finally gave up, because the most logical place I could find, following the directions in the history books that I have put me right in the middle of a hydralic gold mine, the area had been mined and logged, and in one spot there was a rock pit, so I gave up, all I was finding was logging and mining residue. The Indians were supposedly on a bald mountain top when there army jumped them, and although Hungry Hill isn't bald, there are lots of huge rocks, plenty of cover for the Indians, and history and tradition says that's where the fight started. I found nothing there. In fact, all I really got out of all of my searching was sore feet. I don't feel so bad now though, because if the archaeologist can be believed, it was the discovery of the map was the deal sealer for them, and no doubt I was totally in the wrong spot, and I bet they were looking there also. Anyhow, there were over 100 Dragoons, and over 100 volunteers, chasing after the Rogue Indians, who had them pinned down over night, and the soldiers took several casualties, including 7 dead and 20 some wounded. I suspect that the soldiers were scared, and in the dark ended up shooting at each other most of the time. I've found a couple of Indian War era fire fights and have found a couple of relics in each place, but this one was totally a head scratcher. Of course they are going to keep the location a secert, and after all my hiking even if I didn't get to go search, I'd love to know where it actually is.
news paper001.webpHungry Hill.webp The last picture is the view from Hungry Hill, which shows what the soldiers chasing the Indians were up against, and what I was up against trying to find the "Battle of Hungry Hill." Not being a real computer literate, I managed to get two of the same photos, and can't get one removed. The left hand one of the two that are the same will be easier to read if you click on it. Otherwise, I'm sorry, I promise I'll do better.
 

Attachments

  • news paper003.webp
    news paper003.webp
    65.3 KB · Views: 128
  • news paper002.webp
    news paper002.webp
    23 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
now that's the kind of stuff i love to read
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom