Found in NJ Today - Carnelian Thumb Scraper?

kushmeja

Greenie
May 15, 2018
Lambertville, NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

While I was out digging in creek banks for carnelian in central New Jersey, I dug up this carnelian that appears to have been worked. It looks like a thumb scraper to me, but I am mainly a mineral collector, so I'm far from an expert on artifacts. I know for a fact that there were Native Americans (Lenni Lenape I believe) in the immediate area and that there have been carnelian arrow heads found at another creek a few miles away. It was found about a foot or so down from the surface. It fits pretty perfectly in my right hand with my thumb on the flat area, so seems like it would work as a scraper, and edges look worked, I'm just not knowledgeable enough to say for sure if it is indeed an artifact or not.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20181122_174833.jpg
    20181122_174833.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
Absolutely! Great piece.

I was pretty sure, but didn't want to get my hopes up without input from others who know more. I'm absolutely thrilled! I love carnelian from NJ and do a ton of field collecting, and finding and artifact made out of carnelian was something that I had always hoped for! I've seen a ton of carnelian from around there, but I've only heard of one or two find of carnelian artifacts ever, so I didn't think there was much of a chance to be honest.

It was found where there is a very high, flat bank. Looks like it would have been a good spot for a camp, so I'm going to have to comb over the whole area and check for others. I have a piece of jasper in found there a few weeks back that looked weird like it may have been worked, so I'm going to have to dig that up and give it a second look as well.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

When I was little I found a piece of the same stuff in Maryland made into a tiny scraper. I haven't seen it since forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back