What's new

Found near strip pits in Tennessee?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
19,212
Reaction score
12,630
Golden Thread
1
Location
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas on this fossil? I found it on an old road near some old coal strip pits. I put poly on it but in my own defense I did not know about you guys and this forum then :read2:

I was wondering if the old strip pits on top of the mountains would be a good place to hunt for fossils. Thanks everyone I enjoy seeing what you all have found.

TnMountains
 

Attachments

  • 100_1766.webp
    100_1766.webp
    42 KB · Views: 1,813
ask fossis,he is the fossil man
 
strickman said:
ask fossis,he is the fossil man

It looks like (stigmaria Root), 250-300 million yrs old, or (10,000 yrs whatever your belief).
We have the same kind here in OK & AR where I hunt, we found the roots in a lake bed that looked like 'spokes on a wagon wheel,' they got larger as they reached the tree, they were preserved in the mud, but the tree rotted away.
The strip pits are usually excellent fossil sites, but may vary from place to place on kinds of fossils found, some of our pits have large logs found in the rock layers, while others have mostly shale & fern leaves.

Good Hunting, Fossis............
 
fossis said:
strickman said:
ask fossis,he is the fossil man

It looks like (stigmaria Root), 250-300 million yrs old, or (10,000 yrs whatever your belief).
We have the same kind here in OK & AR where I hunt, we found the roots in a lake bed that looked like 'spokes on a wagon wheel,' they got larger as they reached the tree, they were preserved in the mud, but the tree rotted away.
The strip pits are usually excellent fossil sites, but may vary from place to place on kinds of fossils found, some of our pits have large logs found in the rock layers, while others have mostly shale & fern leaves.

Good Hunting, Fossis............

Thank you so much. I am going to take the 4 wheelers and head up to them for an expedition. I do not know what I am doing but will try to look in the layers between the coal and shale. I guess i need to stay out of the old pits.They still have the old rails going in.
I hope I can find some things to show you all.
Am excited
Thanks
 
Thank you sir will do . Have been on the wrong mountains and other hobbies are callin. : )
 
Fellow MD'er in Chattanooga

Hi, saw you on the site and wondered if you like to get together sometime to detect?
Ken
 
Re: Fellow MD'er in Chattanooga

SSGK said:
Hi, saw you on the site and wondered if you like to get together sometime to detect?
Ken

Hey Ken
Welcome to T-Net
If I can find some time that would be great. Even if I can not make it I might be able to point you in the right direction. Are you in the Tennessee Valley area?
 
I live close to Hamilton Mall. I am medically retired, sometimes its hard to even get up lol, so other than honey do's I am bored. You can contact me at ken.kay@us.army.mil
ken
 
(Stigmaria Root)
So that's what those are. I dug a few with the family but didn't know what they were.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom