What's new

Found something different, I’m guessing railroad related?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
9,946
Reaction score
19,958
Golden Thread
3
Location
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve got a permission in Bruceton Mills WV, that I’ve pounded off and on over the years, built in 1860s…
The owners are splitting up, and are selling the house soon, so I put a final beating to the turf, and dug my heart out.
It rained pretty good the other day, so I was able to get as deep as possible with the nox 800.
Finally got a silver, my first and only one from this place, certainly it’s been hunted before. Squeezed out 3 wheats, and this tag.
It was over a foot deep, solid copper, and also kinda heavy. Despite the fact that I gently annihilated it, I suspected it’d have some writing on it… it sure does!
It reads:
OPERATOR V. J.
VANCE MILL JCT
SIGNAL

there’s nothing on the back. Ever seen anything like it? I did some preliminary research into Vance Mill Jct, but it goes into different rabbit holes.
Seems to me it’s a railroad tag of some sort…
Ever seen anything like it?
image.webp

Also, I found a horse who lost his head lol

image.webp


Thanks for looking! :hello:
 
Upvote 19
So I’m onto something here…
Found an 1895 map of Fayette County PA railroads….. north of Uniontown there was a Vances Mills Junction…. Gotta be where this is from. It’s probably an ID tag of an employee.
So cool!
IMG_6065.webp
IMG_6066.webp
 
On your tag, under the word VANCE is written the word SIGNAL in a smaller font.
Also note the difference in spelling: Tag: Vance Map: Vances
Don in SoCal
 
Last edited:
Near where I live is a railroad junction. Called Findlay junction. Similar to your junction. Just a “Y”. Trains have to stop for extended periods to wait for other trains to pass. It’s a really busy place. It’s also where train crews are switched. Railroad lore is interesting.
 
MackayDon, yes I noticed the difference, but locally it makes sense… there is a Vance Mill in VA, that’s tied to the family of JD Vance, but I don’t think this is related to that. I guess back in the day the spelling, and local lingo expressed the same thing?

Chili, good point! I won’t be keeping it under my pillow lol.

Mdpartner, glad you liked my description!
Upon closer inspection, the only kiss I gave it was along the bottom. When I found it, it was bent. I tried to straighten it out in the field, and I didn’t realize the copper crust cracked along the bent areas. The backside has matching hairline cracks. It makes it look pretty ugly, but I think all of us have gotten too frisky recovering a find in the field.

ToddsPoint, seems like this terminal place is long gone. I’m gonna head up to the area where this junction was, and either hit up a local library, history museum, at old timer who might remember those days. I hope it’ll get me onto a permission or two.
 
My dad always asked "where are all the horse's heads?" Now I know.... :laughing7:
 
Congratulations on the great finds!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom