Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ring, heavily encrusted, in a field where I have found Roman and medieval coins and artifacts in the past. I've left it soaking in soapy water for several months, occasionally giving it a scrub with a soft toothbrush. Slowly, the crud came off revealing the ring and now I can clearly see a lovely horse engraved on it. I would place the ring as Roman or early medieval. Has anyone any views?

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg

I've been 'tecting for nearly 30 years and for some reason, this is probably my favourite find of all time.

Regards
Frank

OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first time I've photographed it. I always thought the artwork was that of a horse. But is it my imagination or could it be two figures suckling on a wolf (Romulus and Remus)?

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't help with an ID, but that is one fine old ring! I certainly can see that being a favorite find, too!

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first time I've photographed it. I always thought the artwork was that of a horse. But is it my imagination or could it be two figures suckling on a wolf (Romulus and Remus)?
I to see the suckling twins beneath, which would put it in the Roman era, the shape of ring is certainly that of a Roman style...cool find Frank 8-)

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I took my time cleaning it and only used soapy water and a toothbrush to clean it. It's made of bronze and I'm sure any chemicals would have damaged it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread