Found this in Pakistan, Cant identify it

Menander

Greenie
Jul 28, 2019
Near the Battle of Hydaspes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this coin in what appeared to be an ancient settlement/fortification, strange x symbols on one side and what appears to be an elephant on the other side (eroded but looks like an elephant), cant find a coin like
that on the internet, definitely pre Islamic so pre 900 AD (my guess its a lot older then that). Reckon theres more where that came from but didn't have time the other day so will spend a good day there when I get the time. Might have get help from ancient historians.

Attachments

• 20190922_230635.jpg
    20190922_230635.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20190922_230700.jpg
    20190922_230700.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That thing is extremely cool. Looks way older than Islamic period. Might be ancient Indian coinage, Satavahana or even before.

OP
OP
Menander

Menander

Greenie
Jul 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got excited the moment I saw it, I'm thinking its mauryan or greek (the area where I found it once changed hands between the two empires) but it doesn't help that it doesn't have a kings insignia on it (this ones going to be tricky)

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything I'd bet that it is a coin weight and almost certainly not a coin, I don't see anything intelligible on the other side, just looks like casting irregularities to me. Do you know what it weighs?

Have you found other ancient items during your extended trip to Pakistan? We'd love to see them if so!

OP
OP
Menander

Menander

Greenie
Jul 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything I'd bet that it is a coin weight and almost certainly not a coin, I don't see anything intelligible on the other side, just looks like casting irregularities to me. Do you know what it weighs?

Have you found other ancient items during your extended trip to Pakistan? We'd love to see them if so!

You may be right (3 different people reckon the eroded side is a elephant head with trunk), ill have to get my hands on some scales but its actually very light (a gram maybe).

Its been too hot to do any metal detecting but were now heading into winters and this was my first real outing (ive identified some ancient sites) so hoping to make some good finds over the next 6 months. a lot of ancient sites near modern settlements have a lot of modern trash (plus others have been there) and are no good so I have to head out to whoop whoop to find old stuff.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's possible that it's a modified coin turned into a weight, but the surface of the incised side is in very good condition and in most cases the other side will be in a similar state of preservation. To my eye, the "elephant" side isn't eroded (if it was then the incised side would likely be eroded as well) but instead was the top side when the item was presumably cast in an open-top mold. If you've ever cast metals you'll know from experience that the top surface can look irregular like that piece upon cooling.

If it's a weight then there was likely trading done in the area in ancient times, which is promising as coins and other goodies will likely also be found in the area.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be clear, a coin weight would be more rare than a coin so I think it's a great find. Be sure to dig all signals as ancient iron and lead artifacts can be extremely interesting. I've got a few dozen 13th century iron arrowheads from NW Pakistan (associated with the Mongol invasion of the region) that would be overlooked if one was just looking for coin signals, and while my personal interest is on more western ancient coins and artifacts I'd imagine that the Indo-Greeks used lead sling bullets and possibly cast bronze arrowheads too.

OP
OP
Menander

Menander

Greenie
Jul 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190923_123354.jpg

Ok found this stuff too don't know whats trash and whats ancient (one is a little lead musket ball) don't know if they are all from the same era.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That iron piece looks like an arrowhead, with what remains of the tang on the right side and with what looks like a rusted-off chunk missing along the bottom side in the pic. Kinda hard to tell but whatever the case it looks like you're in an old spot, please keep us updated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread