Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isaac ellwood opened a hardware store in dekalb Illinois in 1850. Several years before he patented his barb wire. This token evidently misspelled his last name.
8C64A53B-377E-4818-88A2-C925E0E65499.jpeg
445D91B2-B98D-4739-8512-CB4B874BBB1B.jpeg

Upvote 15
OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
I searched and searched and couldn't find another 1860 coin! I wonder if Ellwood, after seeing the spelling, pitched them but this one got through?
Very possible. Thank you for your research.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a scarce token and a really nice find. There is a later token from 1863 (also scarce) with a patriotic Washington bust obverse and the correct spelling as “Ellwood”.

Ellwood1.jpg Ellwood2.jpg

I don’t think he actually filed a patent for barbed wire, except for much later patents in the 1880s as improvements on the designs of others, filed jointly with various inventors.

The first barbed wire patent was granted to Michael Kelly in 1868 and Ellwood was one of a number of inventors tinkering with ways to improve it. The most successful improvement (plus machinery for mass-production) that emerged after various litigations for infringements was filed in October 1873 and granted in November 1874 to Joseph Glidden. That led to Ellwood abandoning his own ideas and purchasing a half-share in Glidden’s yet-to-be-issued patent in July 1874 for $265, after which the two established the world’s first barbed wire factory.

OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a scarce token and a really nice find. There is a later token from 1863 (also scarce) with a patriotic Washington bust obverse and the correct spelling as “Ellwood”.

View attachment 2036512 View attachment 2036513

I don’t think he actually filed a patent for barbed wire, except for much later patents in the 1880s as improvements on the designs of others, filed jointly with various inventors.

The first barbed wire patent was granted to Michael Kelly in 1868 and Ellwood was one of a number of inventors tinkering with ways to improve it. The most successful improvement (plus machinery for mass-production) that emerged after various litigations for infringements was filed in October 1873 and granted in November 1874 to Joseph Glidden. That led to Ellwood abandoning his own ideas and purchasing a half-share in Glidden’s yet-to-be-issued patent in July 1874 for $265, after which the two established the world’s first barbed wire factory.
Good reasearch redcoat. Thank you.

View attachment 2036512 View attachment 2036513

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a nice find :)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Store Card . If that's what they are called , My mind is rusty after 3 years of no relic hunting / researching .

OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Store Card . If that's what they are called , My mind is rusty after 3 years of no relic hunting / researching .
Not sure. Maybe for advertising.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions