Four well used Kentucky fluted points

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I really like the injection of paleo materials that Uniface has been posting, so I cracked open a couple of boxes of material. Here are four chunks of fluted points from Kentucky. I think three of them are Sonora and the other is Kentucky hornstone.

The largest piece was beveled into knife/scraper edge, likely to salvage the point after an impact fracture. I need get it under magnification to see if the use wear indicates a scraper tool vs knife edge.

The hornstone point is well fluted, missing an ear but it looks Redstone to me.

Attachments

• 9C4BC5FE-5CA8-4083-8F15-F4C3A6B92DE0.jpeg
    9C4BC5FE-5CA8-4083-8F15-F4C3A6B92DE0.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds like those can make a day even though they are broke. Reminds me of a beaver lake I found it looked great and flipped it over and looked like maybe fire pop got it. Really cool when you go back as far as possible in your hunts. Nice. Uni lives for Paleo I think! :laughing7:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen that reworked Clovis. Man I love that. I have large frames of worn out paleo. I know they are not awe inspiring but they have such a story to tell. Sometimes I close my eyes and feel the history

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite excellent! I am going to hint at that reworked clovis was utilized as a knife. With a knife you would want it with more of a point, and with a scraper you would want it with a more rounded edge.

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So said Bill Breckinridge, at any rate, depending -- if memory serves -- on Gregory Perino.

An example of cross-cultural idea borrowing.

Could be true. I know SanPatrice and Wilson both made spokeshaves unifacially sharpened on biface points. It's no surprise Clovis would do this as well since uniface tools were certainly made by Clovis. This is the first Clovis I have seen salvaged in that manner though.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, the gist of Bill's remarks (as I understand them -- his website's gone now) is that these are found along (and mark) the meeting of Scottsbluff in the west and Dalton in the east. Dalton having come along well after Clovis, it would be unlikely for that to have been the case with Josh's point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread