What's new

From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4,5 (last day).

woody50

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
1,889
Reaction score
227
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a239 14th century Doublet or Gambeson Closure

Catalog Number a239-seb-14e
Type Doublet / Gambeson closure
Designer
Datering 14th Century
Material Copper alloy
Mass gram 16.5
Size (mm) lwh 53 x 30

in Dutch Wambuissluiting = doublet closure
Gambeson doublet closeure
A gambeson (or aketon or padded jack or arming doublet) is a padded defensive
jacket, worn as armour separately, or combined with mail or plate armour.
Gambesons were produced with a sewing technique called quilting. Usually
constructed of linen or wool, the stuffing varied, and could be for example
scrap cloth or horse hair. During the 14th century, illustrations usually show
buttons or laces up the front.
 

Attachments

  • Start-end_resize.webp
    Start-end_resize.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 291
  • a239-seb-14n  Gordelsluiting 14th century_resize.webp
    a239-seb-14n Gordelsluiting 14th century_resize.webp
    272.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 2016-07-19 05-01-00a.webp
    2016-07-19 05-01-00a.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Earl of Essex.webp
    Earl of Essex.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 2
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2

CRUSADER said:
I thought the whole raised line under the yellow arrow was a mouth.
Try the Hot peroxide.
Yes I can understand that, I'm not sure yet what that is, there are other parts of the object were the muck is quite hard. I was surprized about the small part that is gone, that is not normal, so maybe did rot away. Yea, I think I will try the peroxide on Monday, my peroxide that I have here is too old now...
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2

Didn't have the time today, tomorrow the Peroxide!
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

Day 4 (Day 3 was working for the wife)....

Tried the hot peroxide 3 times, but maybe my peroxide is old, but it didn't bubble or loosen anything up. So zapped it with 40V 400ma for 2 hours using caustic soda as electrolyte.. After that attacked softly with toothpicks and quite a bit of gook came off. More of the 'Sheep/Goat head' is showing up, and there appears to be a crown on the head. Tonight a few hours in distilled water, and try more tomorrow.
 

Attachments

  • Unkown day 4.webp
    Unkown day 4.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 503
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

wow thats amazing woody! i didn't realize it was hollow like that! could it have been for burning something?
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

shaun7 said:
wow thats amazing woody! i didn't realize it was hollow like that! could it have been for burning something?
I don't think so. The backing of these items was very shiny or even mirrored thin bronze. Maybe there was also some sort of glass or clear paste that filled in the empty places, but I have not run across anything yet. It was not for burning incense or something, it was a connecting piece from something.......
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

Very cool. A secret decoder pendant......
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

Kings head with Norman 'style' helmet. 14th century. No idea of the function.
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

powdered incense burner?
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

CRUSADER said:
Kings head with Norman 'style' helmet. 14th century. No idea of the function.

Darn Cru, you are great. That's the name 'Norman' I had in the back of my name but could not come up with it. That's a great determination of the head. I really didn't think of a sheep's head, but had to think of something. I will be getting back to the function soon..
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

Hi Woody...at first glaces I thought your find looked like a Roman Seal Box Lid, but after following your post I changed my mind to some sort of snuff box lid,but to be honnest I'm grasping at straws :icon_scratch:
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

CRUSADER said:
Kings head with Norman 'style' helmet. 14th century. No idea of the function.



oh yeah!!! so something that hung from a knight??
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

The flat part of one of those big decorative book latches... like for an illuminated text type bible? The wide part to the right part of the hinge, and the thin part was the latch itself...?
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

Interesting find! HH, Mike
 
Re: From the pit, an unkown object.....Cleaning it, Day 1,2,4

shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Kings head with Norman 'style' helmet. 14th century. No idea of the function.

oh yeah!!! so something that hung from a knight??

Unlikely, the kings head decoration was popular on many types of everyday items.
 
Finally found out what this is.....
 
Finally found out what this is.....

Yeap, sometimes it takes years to get an ID.

Well, I got the 14th C bit right....lol

That picture actually helps me visualize other book clasps that used to be wrongly IDed as Strap-ends. You can see why because they went on straps around the book.:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom