What's new

Ft Ancient Village Site #2-Lawrence County Ohio

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you see here is a personal find from this Village site located in Hamilton Township in Lawrence county Ohio on the old Goldcamp Farm situated right long the banks of the Ohio River. I was only able to hunt this site from 1996 to 2012 when it was bought by the Hecla Water Company and they shut down all hunting, fishing, and artifact hunting on the property. It is posted and they enforce it strongly. I haven't been back there since it was made off limits but I know of several people getting tickets for trespassing.

This site is also Ft Ancient in culture and though no excavations have even been dug we figure it dates from around 1400 AD to contact because of the Point types. There are Glass Beads and Shell Buttons found there and there was an old Trading Post there in the mid 1700's. A large quantity of the Points are Serrated which came later in the culture. The first site I posted also produces quite a few Serrated Triangle Points and this site produces the Bone and Shell Beads, Pendants, Flutes, Pipes, lots of Pottery etc of a typical Ft Ancient Village site. I have never dug here since it was a plowed corn field and as far as I know a professional dig has never been done here.

So let's post some pictures of what I have from here and if you any questions feel free to ask.
 

Attachments

  • 2016-03-03 14.47.20.webp
    2016-03-03 14.47.20.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 2016-03-03 14.47.31.webp
    2016-03-03 14.47.31.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 2016-03-03 14.47.42.webp
    2016-03-03 14.47.42.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 2016-03-03 14.47.51.webp
    2016-03-03 14.47.51.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 2016-03-03 16.12.08.webp
    2016-03-03 16.12.08.webp
    61 KB · Views: 260
  • 2016-03-03 16.12.52.webp
    2016-03-03 16.12.52.webp
    91 KB · Views: 218
  • 2016-03-03 16.12.40.webp
    2016-03-03 16.12.40.webp
    82.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 2016-03-03 16.12.34.webp
    2016-03-03 16.12.34.webp
    54 KB · Views: 241
  • 2016-03-03 16.12.23.webp
    2016-03-03 16.12.23.webp
    85.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 2016-03-03 16.12.15.webp
    2016-03-03 16.12.15.webp
    89 KB · Views: 211
  • 2016-03-03 16.12.58.webp
    2016-03-03 16.12.58.webp
    81.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0087.webp
    DSC_0087.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0088.webp
    DSC_0088.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_0058.webp
    DSC_0058.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC_0061.webp
    DSC_0061.webp
    16 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_0073.webp
    DSC_0073.webp
    26 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0071.webp
    DSC_0071.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0067.webp
    DSC_0067.webp
    5.7 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_0066.webp
    DSC_0066.webp
    5.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0065.webp
    DSC_0065.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 17042d1277854250-found-another-pipe-today-pipes14.webp
    17042d1277854250-found-another-pipe-today-pipes14.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 17041d1277854244-found-another-pipe-today-pipes13.webp
    17041d1277854244-found-another-pipe-today-pipes13.webp
    9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0087.webp
    DSC_0087.webp
    8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_0088.webp
    DSC_0088.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0085.webp
    DSC_0085.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Pics-425.webp
    Pics-425.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are a few in situ pictures of some finds from this site. I used to have a lot more but lost them in a flash drive crash. The 7th pictures shows a double in situ of two Triangles and the 8th is a Shell Tube Bead. I loved walking up on those babies!
 

Attachments

  • 102_1533.webp
    102_1533.webp
    83.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 102_1532.webp
    102_1532.webp
    77.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 102_1531.webp
    102_1531.webp
    66 KB · Views: 83
  • 102_1530.webp
    102_1530.webp
    89.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 102_1529.webp
    102_1529.webp
    96.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 102_1276.webp
    102_1276.webp
    93.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 102_1273.webp
    102_1273.webp
    90.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 102_1515.webp
    102_1515.webp
    90.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 102_1510.webp
    102_1510.webp
    126.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 102_1506.webp
    102_1506.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 102_1278.webp
    102_1278.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 102_1280.webp
    102_1280.webp
    95.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 102_1284.webp
    102_1284.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 93
Beautiful finds and display! I wondered what the lithic material was of the greenish 6th point clockwise in the display with the triangular points that look like a compass. It looks very much like the yet to be typed point I just found. I LOVE the teeth! What are they from?
 
Most of the greenish material we find here in my area seems to be a variation of Carter Cave / Paoli Chert.
 
I love the flutes. What kind of tooth is the double drilled one?
 
Beautiful and fascinating assemblage Grim, thank you for sharing the photos and info. I naively assume that the triangle points are considered to be true arrowheads, and am curious about the serrated ones which you mentioned may be toward the later period. Are the serrated ones considered arrow points as well ? HH

PS. I am still waiting for the day that I can take an insitu of two artifacts at once.
 
I have boxes of Pottery and crude or broken Points and Tools, plus lots of Bone.

The Blue Bead is most likely from the old Trading Post or Hotel that was there but I found it right in the middle of the site so it goes in a tray. lol

It could be from Europe. Is there a type like that from Europe?

I can't really see it too well but is it faceted and is the hole on one side smaller than the hole on the other side? if so it is probably a Bohemian trade bead from the fist half of the 1800's.
 
I met Paul at the Portsmouth Ohio show years ago and just a few years after I really got into hunting Ft Ancient sites. He was a wealth of knowledge and I soaked it up like a sponge. He helped ID pieces and told me what the best books were to buy and just generally told me what signs to look for to find the best spots. He was one of the best people I ever met and I too miss him. His wife had some of Paul's collection at the Ripley show. It was good to see those cases with the gold striped corners that form a diamond when laid out together.

I am sooo glad to hear that she is still showing his collection. Most of those cases held his wallace site finds and you're right they are beautiful. It amazed me the before they were stolen, his metal sawhorses had not left that site since the mid 60's. Again thanx for bringing his name into the conversation!!!!
 
2 more guestions in the 2nd frame from the top the one on the right has a broken ft. ancient point that looks like it has a hole drilled in it what is it a dark spot in the flint and i wondered if you found any trade items from europe there i thought i saw a blue bead in ine of the pics
 
Beautiful and fascinating assemblage Grim, thank you for sharing the photos and info. I naively assume that the triangle points are considered to be true arrowheads, and am curious about the serrated ones which you mentioned may be toward the later period. Are the serrated ones considered arrow points as well ? HH

PS. I am still waiting for the day that I can take an insitu of two artifacts at once.

Yes, Triangles are true Arrow Points used with a Bow. The Serrated ones may have been Knives or may have been for fishing. They may have been used as Arrow Points too. I imagine that would hurt like hell going in and trying to get it back out.
 
I can't really see it too well but is it faceted and is the hole on one side smaller than the hole on the other side? if so it is probably a Bohemian trade bead from the fist half of the 1800's.


It is faceted but not really sure on the hole. I'll have to get it out later and look. Someone else did mention the possibility of it being Bohemian at a show a couple years ago. It may be. There was a large Trading Post here the the late 1700's.
 
2 more guestions in the 2nd frame from the top the one on the right has a broken ft. ancient point that looks like it has a hole drilled in it what is it a dark spot in the flint and i wondered if you found any trade items from europe there i thought i saw a blue bead in ine of the pics

The dark spot is just a spot in the material and not a hole. There has been some Glass Trade Beads found here, but the blue one is the only one I have found.
 
Steve, that spread is so cool. All of my finds are so out of context being from creeks. The fields I hunt just don't produce, so seeing this is just incredible. You're one lucky guy!
 
Steve, that spread is so cool. All of my finds are so out of context being from creeks. The fields I hunt just don't produce, so seeing this is just incredible. You're one lucky guy!


Thank you Steve. I appreciate the kind words.
 
Great site collection...
 
Thanks for all the eye candy
Nice
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom