Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No stupid questions here my friend I asked essentially the same exact question 3 years ago! I have taken my AT Pro to the beach a few times, no issue what so ever on dry sand, was able to ground balance and find some stuff in the wet sand but it was chattery, have had zero luck in the surf. Now some of that I am sure is directly related to the capability of the operator. I don't get to take it to the ocean but once or twice a year and don't spend a tremendous amount of time detecting when I do so all I can say is swing away and have fun and if you find stuff awesome, if not, try to look cool :laughing7:

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used my AT Pro at some Oregon beaches and I've not the best results. It will work if I reduce the sensitivity a few notches in the wet sand. What I have noticed is that it depends on the beach. Dry sand is okay. The surf is really tough with all of the false hits. For the wet sand you really need a detector with more than one frequency or a pulse induction detector.

tomhayes

Mar 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's related to the capability of the operator.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
kype, drop the sensitivity and ground balance often, tighten the coil cord a bit, and use a smaller coil in the surf. Too often people run the machine too hot anyway and with salt water being conductive the machine needs to be backed off, some cases backed way off. The surf will batter the coil and the coil cord so to prevent false hits use a smaller coil and make sure the surf can't more the coil cord. AT-Pro is not the preferred machine for this but will work. Use Pro mode Zero.
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I have not used this particular machine at a beach. One of my digging buddies has a devil of a time with it in the wet sand. The other guy has no issues at all with the wet sand. It must be in how the machine is set up. Other than, that, I don't know.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to display my (limited) knowledge of ATP beach detecting...but Opie covered all the bases. Follow that advice and you'll do ok...The ATP is definitely not a salt machine but I actually scrounged a few things out of that wet sand myself. Good luck! Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread