PArebel
Jr. Member
- #1
Thread Owner
Hi there, it has been a while since I was on here and I hit the wrong key last night so my message never showed up.
OK, here we go. I was lucky to be assigned to MACV HQS when I arrived in Nam. The combat troops had an abbreviation for us, but let's not dwell on that.
I was there at the Tet Sneak Attack the end of Jan, 68. Somehow volunteered to drive an escort jeep for the big shots, military and civilian, into Saigon. A combat infantry company was rotated into the headquarters every 3 or 4 days. 3 of them were assigned to be shotgunners.
We came back one evening and the MP at the main gate told me to turn off my lights as there may be a sniper on the perimeter. I dropped off my shotgunners and drove down a company street to park. A voice out of the darkness yelled that my lights were off. Yes, I know in reply. Parked and out of the darkness came a full bird Marine colonel. I naturally saluted and then he started to berate me for the lack of head lights. Actually heard words I had never heard before. I explained about the MP and the warning of the sniper which resulted in another barrage. He took my name, rank and section I worked for. Figured I was going from an E-4 to an E-1.
Had a rocket attack early the next morning and I never did hear anymore.
My thanks to the many guys who were shotgunners on our escort duties.
OK, here we go. I was lucky to be assigned to MACV HQS when I arrived in Nam. The combat troops had an abbreviation for us, but let's not dwell on that.
I was there at the Tet Sneak Attack the end of Jan, 68. Somehow volunteered to drive an escort jeep for the big shots, military and civilian, into Saigon. A combat infantry company was rotated into the headquarters every 3 or 4 days. 3 of them were assigned to be shotgunners.
We came back one evening and the MP at the main gate told me to turn off my lights as there may be a sniper on the perimeter. I dropped off my shotgunners and drove down a company street to park. A voice out of the darkness yelled that my lights were off. Yes, I know in reply. Parked and out of the darkness came a full bird Marine colonel. I naturally saluted and then he started to berate me for the lack of head lights. Actually heard words I had never heard before. I explained about the MP and the warning of the sniper which resulted in another barrage. He took my name, rank and section I worked for. Figured I was going from an E-4 to an E-1.
Had a rocket attack early the next morning and I never did hear anymore.
My thanks to the many guys who were shotgunners on our escort duties.







