Given A Harbor Freight 9 Function MD And My Review !

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, OK, I can already hear the laughter !!!!

I was recently given a Harbor Freight 9 Function detector by someone who tried detecting and didn't like it.

Naturally, it being free, I just had to try this DOG out to see how bad it is.

The results were surprising !!! It actually works really well for a $50.00 S__T box detector so I'd thought I'd post a review.

This is a very basic bottom of the line detector built cheaply.

It's a mono tone beep and dig rig with a max depth of 4 to 6 inches.

It has surprisingly really good discrimination and the pinpoint function is spot on, right in the center of the coil every time.
It actually works really well with it's limitations. Batteries last forever in this unit.

This detector will be a great mod project for me in the the future and great for people that like to mod and improve upon things.

It's capable of mopping up clad in playgrounds, parks and school grounds and it could quickly pay for itself at it's $50.00 price point.
This could be a great detector for a kid or adult looking to get into detecting at minimal cost.

Great detector to loan out to friends and relatives who have lost their keys somewhere in the yard or to keep in a vehicle to scout a new area on the way home from work.

PROS: Inexpensive
Light weight
Discriminates really well
Pin Point is Spot on
Great Battery Life
Good Mod and Improvement Project
Could pay for itself quickly

CONS: Cheap build
Limited Depth
Mono tone- Beep and dig
Useless Meter
No replacement coils
No Ground balance
90 Day Warranty

Conclusions: I was surprised that a $50.00 metal detector does perform as well as it does with the $50.00 price range.

How much can you expect for $50.00.

It could allow a person on limited funds to get into detecting and pay for itself quickly plus more to save
up for a better unit because it scrubs clad really well !

For $50.00 ( Mine was free ) the Harbor Freight 9 function does a really good job.
It discriminates really well and the pinpoint is spot on.

All in all, it's a capable clad scrubber, lightweight, inexpensive but not a a deep detector, if your looking for old deep stuff.

I would recommend this detector as a low end beginner detector that I had fun playing with and will mod out in the future to loan to all the friends and relatives rather then give them an expensive detector.

As a $50.00 detector in my opinion, it's actually pretty good ! :headbang:

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've got a friend that bought at Hobby Lobby ( Bounty Hunter something) and we have tons of fun. He Has found a bunch on cool stuff. Good luck.:icon_thumright:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old expression----------------"A bad day fishing is better than a good day working."
I just thought of another-----------------"A Harbor Freight detector is better than no detector at all."
Marvin

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rustynailsandscrews

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old expression----------------"A bad day fishing is better than a good day working."
I just thought of another-----------------"A Harbor Freight detector is batter than no detector at all."
Marvin

Yeah, when you look at it that way the Harbor Freight 9 would be better then nothing at all for folks to trying to get into the hobby with little money to spend and not a big investment.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can isolate the circuits, signal amplifiers on the signal send and receive circuits would likely boost the depth.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a Young lady Detect & Dig a Nice old ring
with Worse.
All it takes is Patience & Determination.

Her Friends Dropped her off with the Detector
Her Grandmother Bought out of a women's home sales type Catalog
years ago. & had stored in her Attic.
They Laughed at her and Left.

she spent all her time in one spot digging everything.
& she found the ring. When her friends came back for Her I'm sure they were Impressed.

I don't remember if it was Silver or gold, but I remember a Pang of Jealousy
I missed it. even though I was finding Dozens. (aaah Greed !):coffee2: Hence the reason she
heard & got Curious :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread