What's new

going through some boxes in the barn 19

dognose

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
13,173
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
this 5 inch celt has lots of peck marks on the body and an odd flat area at the poll. bit is in good shape.
1000023589.webp
 

Attachments

  • 1000023588.webp
    1000023588.webp
    443.8 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
Interesting peck marks. At a knap-in, another celt maker and I compared notes. He liked using a heavier hammerstone and used heavy blows. I use a lighter hammerstone. The heavy stone removes more material with each blow, but the blows are slower and it leaves deep pits like the OPs axe. Not to mention more wear on your body swinging a heavy stone. With my lighter stone, I removed less with each blow but I could go a lot faster more like a machine gun. The lighter hammer stone leaves a smoother finish that’s easier to polish. This is a small axe I pecked out. I hit a crack and never finished it. It shows the smoother finish. Experimental archaeology will give you answers that are unobtainable otherwise.
IMG_2930.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom