Gold Coins-Do they settle deeper than silver and copper??? What is your deepest?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water...
Is the factor.
More water... More move.

Loose soil with water... more move.
Tight packed soil with or without water... less move.

This is simple physics and more importantly simple common sense... is it not ?

This "debate" reminds me of the old "is glass moving" / "liquid state or solid" etc debates that have perplexed mankind since the dawn of "debates". heh

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the dawn of debates was "tastes great or less filling"

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason in Enid is correct - coins do not sink in an earthen environment. They are either gradually covered over by years of soil build-up, or they are gradually exposed by erosion removing soil. It depends on the natural forces at work. As an example, you can find 100+ year old coins laying on the surface out in the desert.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell Ya for sure is what ever forces are at play here, move all those gold rings & coins before I can dig them up! Dag nab it!
Anyone got a "reverse ray" deviceI can borrow?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid is correct - coins do not sink in an earthen environment. They are either gradually covered over by years of soil build-up, or they are gradually exposed by erosion removing soil. It depends on the natural forces at work. As an example, you can find 100+ year old coins laying on the surface out in the desert.
Boatlode, can you be so kind as to give me the GPS coordinates of those 100 year old coins, I would enjoy picking them up....[emoji6]

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... and...

Next time it is about to rain round yer parts...

Take some change of various denominations.., and place out in dirt area...

Come back later after the rain.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to find a lot of gold and silver coins to find out which is buried the deepest.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatlode, can you be so kind as to give me the GPS coordinates of those 100 year old coins, I would enjoy picking them up....[emoji6]

I've never done it, but I know someone out in Arizona who has. A blackened silver dollar just sitting there under some brush.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've never done it, but I know someone out in Arizona who has. A blackened silver dollar just sitting there under some brush.

I found Indian head cents from the 1800s just covered with dust on bare dirt under tree while searching a house. From the oxidation, they had been there a long time, but the day I was detecting they were on the surface. I did enjoy just picking them up!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just now jumping into this thread. The word "Sink" only means to move downward toward the gravitational pull. That's what is being discussed. Arbitrarily assigning a definition of "sink" that narrowly only includes movement with no external force, other than gravity, doesn't make sense. That is NOT what is occurring.

What causes agitation in soil? Rain. Walking (steps, or ANY type of vertical compression), rumbling of equipment over the top, even insect and earthworm movement through the soil results in minor agitation. This is one reason why parks have coins often much deeper than you'd find at an old homestead. Why? Traffic, organism movement, and watering patterns result in AGITATION.

Saturation and agitation causes movement of the coins through the soil. Regards, Skippy

Also lightening and thunder... as I said before.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freebird has been saying that coins SINK. period. end of story. Because they SINK, heavier items sink faster.

And I thought my girlfriend was stubborn! Geez! You're reading what you want to read into my posts, just to be argumentative. I never used the word gravity. All I ever stated was that coins sink and are not just covered up with leaves and other debris. That is ALL I was discussing.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold coins can settle very deep, especially if they are on a ship wreck.:laughing7:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread