What's new

Gold Ring.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
I had found this ring early in the season before I was a member of Tnet. I was given this web site to decode teh markings. I believe it was made in Bermingham England. The confusion I have is the capital U in the ring is difficult to find on the chart because there are a few similar looking U's. Hope someone can figure the correct age of the ring. :wink:

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1904.webp
    IMG_1904.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1905.webp
    IMG_1905.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1906.webp
    IMG_1906.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1907.webp
    IMG_1907.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1908.webp
    IMG_1908.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 287
The 1792 U looks the same also. I am curious on the shape of the punch or cut out around the letter U. On my ring it is a square with small angles on each corner. The 1944 shape around the U has a similar shape on the two top corners, but totally different on the bottom. The 1792 image has the same top cut out but the bottom comes down to a point. 1846-1866 shapes are an identicle match, but they change to circles at 1867 S. The 1869 U is identicle to the ring I found, but has a circle around it. Are the shapes around the letters part of the ID to determine the age of this ring? ??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
The 1792 U looks the same also. I am curious on the shape of the punch or cut out around the letter U. On my ring it is a square with small angles on each corner. The 1944 shape around the U has a similar shape on the two top corners, but totally different on the bottom. The 1792 image has the same top cut out but the bottom comes down to a point. 1846-1866 shapes are an identicle match, but they change to circles at 1867 S. The 1869 U is identicle to the ring I found, but has a circle around it. Are the shapes around the letters part of the ID to determine the age of this ring? ??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

This is fundamental to the ID.

Clearly a Birmingham England Assay Mark, .375 - 375 parts per thousand parts (9ct)

AC Co. is the markers mark - try & find who this is & it may help.

The issue is the date letter stamp which doesn't match any of the 'U's, so.... :icon_scratch:

No idea what the 'o' type stamp means, strange added 'extra' :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom