What's new

GPS advice for the brain dead

Tank69

Silver Member
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
4,078
Reaction score
62
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking for a GPS that is so simple even I can run it an understand it , guess I'm just looking for recommendations on units . I've been doing alot of pin pointing on google earth on spots I'd like to hunt an would like something easy that I can just enter the coordinates off google earth an be able to find it . I have never used a GPS so any help would be great thanks Tank :icon_thumright:
 
Tank, The Garmin Nuvi 680 is really easy to use. I have one and love it! It is really easy to get to its map if your just on the road and don't have a destination to go to. Otherwise, it has very easy touch controls which you can ultimatly enter your destination into the GPS and go on your way! :) I got it for graduation in 2008 and have never stopped using it! It is great! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Widesc...furbished/dp/B000YE99NQ/?tag=treasurenet01-20
 
I just got a Garmin Colorado and absolutely love it. Took me a few days to get used to it but the accuracy of it is great
 
If you can get thru the menus on most computer programs and I assume you can as you're on here - you should quickly pick up the basics on most any of the entry level or a step or two up handheld units by Garmin, Magellan and others. May take a bit of practice, but do-able. I find the use of a GPS very handy for some of the more remote sites I sometimes hunt. Often the smaller creeks etc. on forest service maps are not signed, but when located on one of the map programs available on the web, and with the co-ordinates saved in the GPS, I can drive or walk right to the area easily.
HH
Bill
 
:icon_thumright: thanks for the info everyone
 
Tank69 said:
looking for a GPS that is so simple even I can run it an understand it , guess I'm just looking for recommendations on units . I've been doing alot of pin pointing on google earth on spots I'd like to hunt an would like something easy that I can just enter the coordinates off google earth an be able to find it . I have never used a GPS so any help would be great thanks Tank :icon_thumright:

Tank,
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm still listening to 8-tracks & watching Beta videos. :tongue3: O.K., not really, but I've been wanting to get a simple GPS too. Since there have been so many reports in my area of cars being broken into and the GPS stolen, I'm looking for one I can either hide or take out of the car.
Thanks for the post,
MM
 
Tank and Modern Miner - so many models of GPS have come out on the market now that you will probably have to do a bit of research to decide what you need. I'd suggest going to several dealers that have knowledgeable people to show you some of the options. The GPS I use in my car is different than the handheld one I use for inputing Longitude and latitude data. I don't think the car one is well suited for how I'd use it for detecting, but great for addresses, major highways, cities, or motels, restaraunts etc. when traveling. The hand held is great for keeping on track over hill and dale so to speak and for saving a location so that one can find the way back, later.
HH
Bill
 
Garmin is probably one of the easiest to use, check with your local hunting store, they probably have them in stock and can explain all the ins and outs for each one
 
luvsdux said:
Tank and Modern Miner - so many models of GPS have come out on the market now that you will probably have to do a bit of research to decide what you need. I'd suggest going to several dealers that have knowledgeable people to show you some of the options. The GPS I use in my car is different than the handheld one I use for inputing Longitude and latitude data. I don't think the car one is well suited for how I'd use it for detecting, but great for addresses, major highways, cities, or motels, restaraunts etc. when traveling. The hand held is great for keeping on track over hill and dale so to speak and for saving a location so that one can find the way back, later.
HH
Bill

Thanks Luv for that info.
That's one thing I was hoping to do is save locations when I'm out detecting.
-MM-
 
Hi Tank69, I have a Lowrance Gps. The reason I picked Lowrance? I have been to numerous off road races in the south west, Truly harsh conditions, stuck my head in 100's of off road buggys and trucks and all I have seen is Lowrance Gps units.
 
thanks extractor how user friendly are they?
 
Everyone's given great advice.

If you want to go from Google Earth to a hand held device, you have to pay the extra hundred bucks or so, so that you can enter the coordinates, and say 'Go To', for you to get there.

Remember, GPS goes like a crow flies. If you're really 'out there', no amount of GPS technology will find your target.

I've always packed flagging tape, a cheap Garmin, a decent compass, and the best map I can get my hand's on.
 
Go to the local pawn shops see if they have a hand held cheap most of them are real simple. I picked up a Lowrance H2O GPS for 69.95 with the mapping software. Almost all of them the cords can be entered by hand. Some can be synced with a computer , with a cable or SD card. Some are waterproof!
Waterproof is very good for the field!!!
I just saw a Garmen Etrex for $40.00
Depends on what you want. Check out the places like Dicks Sporting goods or Gander Mountain to get a feel for them then buy a used one from eBay to start.
This one at eBay is $50.00 plus $7.00 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-Etrex-Ha...ices?hash=item230273ce72&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
:icon_thumright: thanks for everyones advice its been really helpful .
 
Hi Tank 69
All of the Gps units are fairly easy to use. Kind of like riding a bycyle a day or too an ya should figure it out. There is a lot of on line support also if needed. Do get one with a color screen ,easyer to find water sources if needed. HH extractor
 
ModernMiner said:
Tank69 said:
looking for a GPS that is so simple even I can run it an understand it , guess I'm just looking for recommendations on units . I've been doing alot of pin pointing on google earth on spots I'd like to hunt an would like something easy that I can just enter the coordinates off google earth an be able to find it . I have never used a GPS so any help would be great thanks Tank :icon_thumright:

Tank,
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm still listening to 8-tracks & watching Beta videos. :tongue3: O.K., not really, but I've been wanting to get a simple GPS too. Since there have been so many reports in my area of cars being broken into and the GPS stolen, I'm looking for one I can either hide or take out of the car.
Thanks for the post,
MM

My local paper usually has 3 or 4 reports of car windows being smashed for the GPS units. I don't know why anyone would leave it out on the dash or attached to the windshield. I think I would be more ticked at having the broken window then at losing the GPS unit.

I agree that for detecting you would want a specialized hand held unit that you can enter coordinates and save locations. Not one that is made for the car. Most of the new cell phones have GPS capabilities for the car and everyone takes their phone with them so less chance of causing a car break in.

Good luck

NJ
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom