What's new

Grain drill ID help

tmerry

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I bought this grain drill/seeder farm implement at an auction. Can anyone ID it and tell me more? Like age, maker, correct name of implement, what it was designed to plant. I need to give a history of it at a mule show. Also, right in front of the chute that drops the grain is a broken stem. What was this/what did it look like (in case I fix it)? There is no maker on it, but all the part numbers start with "LD" or inside seeder is "CP." Thank you VERY much.
 

Attachments

  • farm_implement_1.webp
    farm_implement_1.webp
    172.1 KB · Views: 405
  • farm_implement.webp
    farm_implement.webp
    151.7 KB · Views: 430
  • side-frame.webp
    side-frame.webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 384
  • top-frame.webp
    top-frame.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Inside-seeder.webp
    Inside-seeder.webp
    119.2 KB · Views: 386
  • broken-part.webp
    broken-part.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Thank you very much! The links were great. Any idea how old? Maker of planter?
 
Upvote 0
Age? Just a WAG based on what's cast & what's not I'd say 1890 to 1930. Square head bolts were starting to give way to hex head around 1940. That four curvy spoked leading wheel looks 1900ish. The toothed main wheels are a unique feature (very unlike the Deere & Moline which use a single central wheel). The castings are sophisticated so I would say many were made; probably with interchangable plates for various seed, pea & bean sizes. Anyone have access to the reproduction Sears catalog from 1909?
 
Upvote 0
Much thanks to everybody! This gives me what I need. I will look on the bottom for the jd-4 as suggested. Appreciate the help!
 
Upvote 0
tmerry said:
Much thanks to everybody! This gives me what I need. I will look on the bottom for the jd-4 as suggested. Appreciate the help!
CHARLIE P HAS ME CORRECTED ON THE JD-4 MARK. SORRY FOR THE MISSED RESEARCH ON MY PART. MY GRANDFATHER HAD ONE SIMILAR BUT I THOUGHT HIS WAS A DUAL WHEEL. BUT HIS WAS A SINGLE WHEEL. SORRY AGAIN. STEVE.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom