Grand army of the republic medal

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Found about a year before I joined TN. Grand army of republic metal. Probably my best and only civil war related find. Found along the back fence of a turn of century homesite where I found a thimble and some old med bottles. I have always been suspect of it though, can’t figure out why someone would toss that with the rest of the trash unless it’s a replica. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks! IMG_0425.jpeg

Upvote 6

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From the online photos of the same medal it looks like it's the real thing.
That back should show where the attachment pin was attached also.
Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 7.53.20 AM.png

Possible that it was tossed as it was a reminder of the war, and tossing it was a way to rid oneself of those memories.
Nice recovery BTW

OP
OP
cajundetector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
From the online photos of the same medal it looks like it's the real thing.
That back should show where the attachment pin was attached also. View attachment 2096513
Possible that it was tossed as it was a reminder of the war, and tossing it was a way to rid oneself of those memories.
Nice recovery BTW
Thanks pepper! Never thought of that, does make sense. Will submit photo of back

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because we find something in a trash pit doesn't mean it was tossed.......could have been simply lost. Rings and dentures and all sorts not-meant-to toss items can be found in trash pits or in the vicinity of them...?

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. The GAR organizations had chapters in every state. The GAR in the heydays had reunions and huge gatherings all over the north and south. There's even a GAR Union Soldier statue in my hometown of Lynn Haven FL. It was a town started and populated by elderly Civil War veterans, mostly from northern states. Main Street is Ohio Ave, with NY, PA, MI, IL as the center of the original town. Several of my detecting buddies have found GAR items....I'm envious! Again nice find!

Attachments

• IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
cajundetector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Nice find. The GAR organizations had chapters in every state. The GAR in the heydays had reunions and huge gatherings all over the north and south. There's even a GAR Union Soldier statue in my hometown of Lynn Haven FL. It was a town started and populated by elderly Civil War veterans, mostly from northern states. Main Street is Ohio Ave, with NY, PA, MI, IL as the center of the original town. Several of my detecting buddies have found GAR items....I'm envious! Again nice find!
Thanks for the insight!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My guess is it was attached to old clothing that was incinerated with the rest of the trash back in the day. I find lots of stuff that, I believe, was the result of ash spreading after the incinerator was full and needed emptied. Buttons, old tubes of toothpaste, made of lead I believe....etc. Rings and dentures were also thrown out with the trash back in the day.
Greats on the keeper and LUCK next time out.

OP
OP
cajundetector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
My guess is it was attached to old clothing that was incinerated with the rest of the trash back in the day. I find lots of stuff that, I believe, was the result of ash spreading after the incinerator was full and needed emptied. Buttons, old tubes of toothpaste, made of lead I believe....etc. Rings and dentures were also thrown out with the trash back in the day.
Greats on the keeper and LUCK next time out.
Thank you!! Really appreciate the reply!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread