Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gq1d.jpg
gq1c.jpg
gq1f.jpg
gq1g.jpg
These green crystals I thought were Quartz initially but the terminations look unfamiliar. The white/clear matrix is for sure Quartz, and the piece is from Madagascar where the Ocean Jasper is mined, in fact this was part of a low grade sample of Ocean Jasper and it has some Chalcedony on the back side of it.

Hardness of the crystals is 6-7, no UV reaction, no streak color, no acid reaction. It must be quartz, maybe just an interesting growth with some element giving it green color?

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2011614 View attachment 2011615 View attachment 2011616 View attachment 2011617 These green crystals I thought were Quartz initially but the terminations look unfamiliar. The white/clear matrix is for sure Quartz, and the piece is from Madagascar where the Ocean Jasper is mined, in fact this was part of a low grade sample of Ocean Jasper and it has some Chalcedony on the back side of it.

Hardness of the crystals is 6-7, no UV reaction, no streak color, no acid reaction. It must be quartz, maybe just an interesting growth with some element giving it green color?
The crystal formations look like calcite I have found before, not expert on psuedomorph but maybe quartz after calcite, just a wild guess, then again, I've come across some strange quartz formations.

Upvote 2

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 2011614 View attachment 2011615 View attachment 2011616 View attachment 2011617 These green crystals I thought were Quartz initially but the terminations look unfamiliar. The white/clear matrix is for sure Quartz, and the piece is from Madagascar where the Ocean Jasper is mined, in fact this was part of a low grade sample of Ocean Jasper and it has some Chalcedony on the back side of it.

Looks like calcite to me.

Color Wheel

Upvote 2

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Quartz crystallizes in more than 100 forms so it definitely could be quartz. Hardness etc. match.

At first sight I thought it might be some of the Madasgar Fuchsite colored quartz but the color seems off and the hardness is too high. Another possibility is Sphene (Titanite) but once again the hardness is too high.

It looks like quartz and it quacks like quartz so I'm gonna go with quartz on this one Fuss. The green could be from the Chlorite group (Chamosite) inclusions or a bunch of other stuff that colors quartz green.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay, Chlorite inclusions sounds reasonable. to me. I do have some Epidote included Quartz from Pakistan that matches the color of this but on those pieces you can see needle shaped xls packed together in the Quartz under high magnification, cant on this though.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread