✅ SOLVED Handmade Wood Safe Box with a Boxfull of Questions... Any Guesses?

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATING: This might be a Japanese Kaidan-dansu / Tansu chest.

--Today I found this nice handmade wood box.
Has a unique brass butterfly lock with keyhole cover. It has a long key with catch-and-pull mechanism to lock and unlock. I think this is a "trick lock". The top detaches from the base -- It is not on a hinge.
There are no marks to indicate it was a drawer or that it fit into something larger.
Inside: Compartments including a hidden drawer on bottom. Dovetail fitting. Approximately: 13.75in X 10 in
Q's- What kind of wood? Is there a special purpose? Age: 1900s or? I'd love your feedback!
DSCN3454.JPG DSCN3451.JPG DSCN3449.JPG DSCN3453.JPG

Last edited:

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool. I don't know anything about wood, but the box looks like it could be part of a campaign chest.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely a nice piece. I get the feeling looking at it, that it is part of a bigger piece of furniture, like a desk drawer. does the bottom show wear like it's been slid in and out of something a lot?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it does not appear to have any marks that indicate it was a drawer.

Upvote 0

Dirtminer

May 8, 2012
Candia New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
A new Garrett AT PRO, Discovery 2200 and a Bullseye II pinpointer. Brand New Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still looking into it. Try looking up executive desk with a locking drawer. It reminds me of an old desk where the banker or someone wealthy would have kept money or a gun in their desk for safekeeping. and then opened it when things turned sour.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread