What's new

Has anyone tried vinegar to clean coins?

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2006
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
155
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lillian, Alabama, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried vinegar to clean coins with electrolysis? I saw the statement below in a science experiment.


Tap water may or may not conduct electricity depending on its hardness. Solutions containing vinegar always conducts electricity because it starts with ions already in it.


Also, how long does it take soaking coins in olive oil?
 
Vinegar or lemon juice will work well, yea without it it’s just too slow to really work well.

Olive oil...Well I found a Chinese money coin on the beach and it took about two months to read the markings well, could still use more. It’s metal friendly but it’s sloooow.
 
I guess I better just sit back and relax after the olive oil treatment. Thanks a bunch
 
Might want to be careful using vinegar on copper or zinc coins. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which will eat copper and zinc. Will also eat silver, but at a much slower rate.
 
Hill City Rebel said:
Might want to be careful using vinegar on copper or zinc coins. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which will eat copper and zinc. Will also eat silver, but at a much slower rate.

You ain't a kidding, Rebel. Used a 1/2vinegar/1/2 water mixture on pennies in a tumbler, and after 3 hours they came out looking like grenade shrapnel (well not quite but lots of pits and holes).

Dick
 
WOW, I'm glad I asked first. Thanks for the info
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom