What's new

Hate to do this, but I need to know! Yet another mystery Roosevelt dime!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2013
Messages
4,210
Reaction score
8,045
Golden Thread
1
Location
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've checked over 43,000 dimes over the last couple of months, but never saw one that looks like this coin! At first I thought it was etched by acid, but it weighs 2.27 grams, so no weight loss. The rim on the obverse and reverse look very strange. Almost like a sloppy clad layer was applied to the coin.

Let me know what you think of this one! PMD or more sloppy work at the Philadelphia mint! LOL!

DSC06693.webpDSC06677.webp
 
Upvote 0
Overused dies will give it that appearance.
 
When I see halves that look like that I`ve always thought they had a rough couple weeks in a parking lot or something....
 
Definitely not damage from road rash! I guess it could be from a worn out die, but I don't think the rim would look like that from a worn out die. The weirdest part is Roosevelt's nose. Looks like someone stamped a backwards letter "E" into it. Hard to take a good photo of it, but I'll try again later today.
 
Slightly better pics, but still hard to see the backwards "E" on the nose.

DSC06698.webpDSC06699.webp
 
The obverse is a slight mad. The nose appears to have taken a hit.
 
FDR's got that Colonel Kurtz look :BangHead:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom