OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone used or seen the Garrett headphones I'm currently using with the dual volume and stereo/mono switch that can comment on size comparison of the muffs between those and the killer wasp/sunray gold and the killer b hornets?
The hornets have larger muffs.
The Garrett's fit around my ears well and would like the same fit on the new pair and have no size comparison between the ones I have and the two muff styles offered by John.
Thanks

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just caved and ordered a set of hornets. Pretty sure it's the same shells as some hearing protection I wear in my shop.
Backwoods detectors has a sale on their website and free shipping. Hornets were 116 and the wasps are 119. I've been having problems snagging and shorting cables with my previous volume control, ear bud setup. Went back to my old fisher headphones and they sounded like turds. Can't wait to give these hornets a go!

Noah

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im using the Garrett's Clear Sound EasyStow standard headphones that came with my device with volume control work on my ACE and my Vaquero pretty good, but have not rulled out the idea yet on a nice pair of Whites, Ghost's NDT'S and Sunray Golds yet here. Still may consider wireless to go along with the Grey Ghost I am thinking here...just have not pulled the trigger yet.

Last edited:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out the hornets are out of stock. He sent a reply while I was writing the post above. Sending me the Wasps instead and said if they don't work out hell refund the sale or swap for hornets when they are back in stock. Looking forward to getting them next week. Not sure if they are a forum sponsor or not but Richard at Backwoods detectors is top notch in regards to customer service and quick response to orders! :icon_thumright:

Noah

OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wasps look nice.
After speaking with the maker John, I found out the hornets buttons don't have metal stems, so being plastic could break off. The wasps having the locking metal toggles look like a safe bet.
Hope you enjoy them and be sure to post how you like them!!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Stefan...

Did you ever decide on headphones? Just curious.

I think I'm going to order a set of the standard Kb's for backup. I really missed my Wasps when they were out for repair. I also have some Calrad, Garrett and Tesoro branded here. None of them sound as crisp as my Kb's.

OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm gonna go for the wasps. But right now I'm holding off to see if I have the cash.
Got a Greta deal on a 4pin RSD and a 4 pin 5 3/4 concentric with some poles. So the money I had aside for phones went into that

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I haven't had the pleasure of nice headphones I don't know what I'm missing so I'll keep going on withy Garrett's for a while I guess.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.
I hope I don't go off the deep end and get a bunch of headphones. Lol

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since I haven't had the pleasure of nice headphones I don't know what I'm missing so I'll keep going on withy Garrett's for a while I guess.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.
I hope I don't go off the deep end and get a bunch of headphones. Lol
Once you do, you will kick yourself for not buying them sooner.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any Killer B Wasp distributors in Canada, all I see is Sunray Pro Gold any comparison to the Killer B Wasp's?

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer an analog signal.

OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Killer B Wasp distributors in Canada, all I see is Sunray Pro Gold any comparison to the Killer B Wasp's?

Made by the same guy, John Smith. And they seem to have the same features. Limiter and mode switch (but don't know if they're locking like on the wasps) and same cable, volume controls, strain relief, and leather muffs. Same cups too.
Only difference I see is at the top of the band. Looks like the wasps have a leather cover over the padding.

But most likely the same headphones functionally. Same guy making them

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever decide on headphones? Just curious.

I think I'm going to order a set of the standard Kb's for backup. I really missed my Wasps when they were out for repair. I also have some Calrad, Garrett and Tesoro branded here. None of them sound as crisp as my Kb's.

Are your Garrett the dual volume with the stereo mono switch on one side?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep...

Are your Garrett the dual volume with the stereo mono switch on one side?

Those are the ones. I think I've seen 'em sold as Garrett Deluxe or something like that. They work for backups, but sound like listening down a muffled tunnel, in comparison th the Kb's. I got 'em with a used detector purchase.

OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the ones. I think I've seen 'em sold as Garrett Deluxe or something like that. They work for backups, but sound like listening down a muffled tunnel, in comparison th the Kb's. I got 'em with a used detector purchase.

I got mine with my Deleon. I did notice even with never running the killer B's but I'll have to pick up a pair of the killer B's just have to scratch some cash together.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just recieved my Wasps, and of course it's raining cats and dogs today. Can't complain though, we need all the rain we can get down here. Tested them out in my shop with some coins set on sawhorses. They sound great and are super comfortable. Definitely better response than other cheap headphones I've used. Especially on the edge of detection depth. Nice little beep compared to the halfhearted clicky thump of my past pair. Have to use them a bit and figure out whether to use the limiter or not. Thanks for this thread spurring my purchase!

Noah

larox

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Anyone know where one may get a new cable with a 45% 1/4" plug replaced on a pair of Troy pro headphones? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks. larox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread