What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Heavy Brass/Copper Wing-Nut Screw Or Dial Part?

USNFLYR

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2018
Messages
334
Reaction score
476
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very heavy (for its size) piece of metal while detecting an area that has previously yielded mid 1800 era items. It appears to be capped and had two extending "ears"? I can see metal remnants from where the second "ear" would’ve been (opposite) to the remaining flat ear protrusion. That ear is broken (partly snapped off), and it has grooves etched in (for grip?). The back (underside) appears to have had a smaller diameter piece sticking out. Maybe this was an early form of a screw that had a wing-nut design? Maybe is was a dial of some sort? I am curious only because I have found trapper/trader items at the same site, and those dated around 1820-1840.


IMG_5695.webp
IMG_5694.webp
IMG_5693.webp
IMG_5692.webp
IMG_5691.webp
IMG_5696.webp
 
Looks like pewter. Maybe part of a compote or coffee/tea pot.
 
Upvote 0
The first attachment shows pieces of a pewter artifact I found and how they fit together. Your find reminds me of part of a base. The second attachment is the a educational display donated to the local historical society with the pieces cleaned up & preserved.
 

Attachments

Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom