What's new

Heavy, worked stone. Native American?

Detector mom

Full Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
129
Reaction score
268
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
white's mdx 300; simplex plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in stream in northern NJ town settled in 1600s, Native American presence long before. Wonder if it could be a mano or pestle, as in Herbert Kraft’s catalog.
 

Attachments

  • AFDE78B6-8C21-4FAE-81F6-DC1D71AFD4B8.webp
    AFDE78B6-8C21-4FAE-81F6-DC1D71AFD4B8.webp
    405.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 4FAABB77-EC66-4A77-84AD-8EF7AD1F4EF2.webp
    4FAABB77-EC66-4A77-84AD-8EF7AD1F4EF2.webp
    501.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 5D7D351C-3E7C-4F76-87DD-F37716468DB3.webp
    5D7D351C-3E7C-4F76-87DD-F37716468DB3.webp
    387.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 64010740-889E-46C1-9C5A-1AC262FED183.webp
    64010740-889E-46C1-9C5A-1AC262FED183.webp
    525.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I'm thinking a good possibility, but the mechanics of geology can also produce many amazing things to behold. Let's see what the verdict of other might be.
 
Upvote 0
I vote artifact. That even taper doesn't happen in nature, at least not very often. Gary
 
Upvote 0
I would lean towards artifact 'if' when it was found that it seemed out of place, such as not matching the color and general shapes of any of the surrounding rocks and gravel. If it just seemed like an odd shape of many other similar colored stones, then I'd lean more towards it being natural
 
Upvote 0
From the pictures I just can't see any man made alterations on it. I feel that it is natural. JMHO
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a wet stone for sharping blades to me, but thats from a UK perspective.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom