What's new

Help identifying civil war relics my son bought in Gettysburg

BillK01

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 7, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a weekend trip to Gettysburg. While we we there my son found this set of artifacts for sale in a shop in downtown Gettysburg and since he'd been saving up for over a year we let him buy it for $79.00.

The shop owner was very nice and explained what each one was but of course we only remember a few now. It would be great to have a list of what each one is so he can read about them all and possibly be able to take it to school next year and do a show and tell with it.

Here's a pic I took of the display. Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

image.webp
 
Upvote 0
The largest thing in the collection looks like a flattened powder flask.
3rd down from the top right is a part of a spur.
Just to the left of that with the left side broken off is a rifle buttplate.
Left of the buttplate is another spur part.
The small oval with the rectangular hole is from a McClellan saddle.
Possible eating utensil (fork) lower right.
 
No Expert Here.
Since Ill give you my Opinion on some of the items.
but It would be best to say, number each item & put them on the 'What is it Page'
I see Def, a Crushed Powder Flask ikesdad had the others right as well.
Along with the fork , I think you have the remains of a knife, & to the left of that a Bayonet Tip, (Tho very Corroded).

Sorry having Computer issues (about to smash my lap top) . Sooo best to do what I said at first.
A nice collection your son got there .
Was it all found in the Gettysburg area?
I would be interested in knowing what happened to the Minnie next to the powder flask.
Also is the big white piece lead? if so likely a sabot piece off of a shell ,you may have a small fuse piece & a shell frag or two as well.
GL
Davers
 
I see you have met our friend DON.

His shops site
Gettysburg Electronics

This is a GREAT PLACE to stop and look around.
Welcome to T-NET too

Hit

Yes - that's the place! (our receipt was so faded we couldn't read the name of the store and none of us could remember).

He's a GREAT guy and was fun to talk with. We loved how he took the time to explain what things were with our 10 year old. I was feeling bad about not thinking to just ask Don if we could just record his explanation of what each item was with one of our phones so we could refer back to it later.

Thank you all that have posted - all those descriptions jive with what Don told us at the time. Now that I see them in writing it's coming back to me - there are a few missing that I cannot recall but this has been great so far!

Davers - regarding the Minnie next to the powder flask (if you mean the one to the right of it) - Don told us that was a "cleaning ball" that was used to blow some of the lead out of the rifling of the barrel every few hundred shots. It's actually 2 pieces.

Thanks again all.

Bill
 
Here is my 2 cents worth on a few things.
Top left is a J-hook, Very top (just left of center) that lock hasp looking thing I believe to be part of a shoulder epilate that actually went under the brass strap and over the twist key and held the epilate in place. You have what looks like a general service uniform button, the 5 looking thing (top row second from right) looks like hat insignia pin. I am no expert but these are my thoughts. Some great relics there

JimK
 
Last edited:
Yes - that's the place! (our receipt was so faded we couldn't read the name of the store and none of us could remember).

He's a GREAT guy and was fun to talk with. We loved how he took the time to explain what things were with our 10 year old. I was feeling bad about not thinking to just ask Don if we could just record his explanation of what each item was with one of our phones so we could refer back to it later.

Thank you all that have posted - all those descriptions jive with what Don told us at the time. Now that I see them in writing it's coming back to me - there are a few missing that I cannot recall but this has been great so far!

Davers - regarding the Minnie next to the powder flask (if you mean the one to the right of it) - Don told us that was a "cleaning ball" that was used to blow some of the lead out of the rifling of the barrel every few hundred shots. It's actually 2 pieces.

Thanks again all.

Bill

Yes I meant the one on the left, as the one on the right is a IMO' Fired' Williams Cleaner Type 3???.
Maybe the brass piece above the bottom portion of the But Plate , , ,,is maybe a key hole Cover for a Lock???
Some type of Suspender Piece to the right of the Knapsack Hook, ( it may have writing on it).
The Iron Buckles are likely from horse gear maybe even from a cartridge box, but most likely Horse Gear.
They are Cleaned up nicely .
Def, a General Service Button, a couple handles 1 brass ,& 1 of Iron (to something).
Maybe a small belt adjuster to the left of the Iron buckle on the bottom, it seems the ones I have dug were a little longer than the one pictured, kinda hard to tell.
Maybe the larger Brass piece near the top is a hinge piece off a door of some sort??.

But I was def, talking about the Minnie with the flat bottom under the other 3 ringer.
Could that be a bent brass ring near the bottom middle?

Cool Stuff Esp, if from the Gettysburg Battle Area.
Davers
 
THE UNION --- WILLIAMS "CLEANER" BULLET BY THE CRUSHED COPPER POWDER FLASK--- VERY TOP LEFT IS A KNAP SACK HOOK -- THEN A SUSPENDER CLIP ==YOU ALSO HAVE A BUSTED RIFLE BUTT PLATE * RIGHT HAND BOTTOM CORNER LOOKS LIKE A 3 PRONG FORK..
 
Third down from the top left looks like 1/3rd of a shaler bullet
 
Very possible , but the base looks to large or flattened in some way?
May have something in the base , hard to tell, Could be Carved as well, Hmmmm!
 
labradigger1

I like your sig, line.
You got a Desert Eagle or one of those 8 shot S&W's.
What you think about 357 sig,?
Sorry off topic.
Davers
 
labradigger1

I like your sig, line.
You got a Desert Eagle or one of those 8 shot S&W's.
What you think about 357 sig,?
Sorry off topic.
Davers

Ruger, I am a wheel gun fan myself so no experience with the sig.
 
Ruger, I am a wheel gun fan myself so no experience with the sig.

Must have been Out of it that day, Don't know why??? I asked you about a Desert Eagle.
Ruger makes a Dang Fine Revolver .
Sorry took so long.
Davers
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom