What's new

Help needed on Bottles found

Tico14

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
274
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, 1266X, Troy Shadow X-3, Tesoro Deleon, Silver Umax, Whites IDX-Pro (Mr. Bill's Mods), Silver Eagle, Modded Classic 1,
I found these 4 bottles yesterday in back yard of old house.
I don't know squat about bottles.
Any info about age or contents would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
yard1.jpg
 
The largest bottle in the picture is an old medicine bottle. I have one exactly like it
 
Howzit going,

The green one was most likely a vick's type vaporub salve bottle.

The tall one looks like a polish bottle. it had a ball type swab on a wire handle to dip and apply the dressing to shoes and such.

The small one was an iodine bottle. It had a glass tincture to apply the iodine to wounds.

The other was similar. Maybe like an anbesol (tooth ache) medicine bottle. Applied with cotton.

Nice little stash of bottles.
 
"In medicine, a tincture is an alcoholic extract (e.g. of leaves or other plant material) or solution of a non-volatile substance; (e.g. of iodine, mercurochrome). To qualify as a tincture, the alcoholic extract is to have an ethanol percentage of at least 40-60% (sometimes a 90% percent pure liquid is even achieved).

"In chemistry, a tincture is a solution that has alcohol as the solvent."

The alcohol is the reason that iodine burns when applied to a wound using the glass applicator rod. My memory from childhood is that the iodine and mercurochrome came in amber glass vials.
 
Harry Pristis said:
"In medicine, a tincture is an alcoholic extract (e.g. of leaves or other plant material) or solution of a non-volatile substance; (e.g. of iodine, mercurochrome). To qualify as a tincture, the alcoholic extract is to have an ethanol percentage of at least 40-60% (sometimes a 90% percent pure liquid is even achieved).

"In chemistry, a tincture is a solution that has alcohol as the solvent."

The alcohol is the reason that iodine burns when applied to a wound using the glass applicator rod. My memory from childhood is that the iodine and mercurochrome came in amber glass vials.

I'm mistaken for calling the "glass rod" a tincture, I don't know why I did that. You are correct, most mercurochrome and merthyolate bottles were amber. I have found clear ones with the cap and glass rod intact and also, the red stain inside. Could be a similar substance with similar applications. Again... I could be wrong.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom