help what kind ,era etc percussion pistol

galaxion

Nov 15, 2009
newcastle upon tyne-north east uk
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 6.5x9 and 12x9,also 4 inch sniper coil
granpas gun im 39 had it since my teens when he passed away i got it amongst other curio,s i used to play goodies and baddies bk in the 70,s and 80,s all i know is its supposebley a percussion pistol you guys n gals tell me wat is is plz it has the fire marks on both the barrel and hand piece sorry the pictures aint kodak quallity but hey seen worse lol the barrell is round sounds funny but thers one says octagonal barrel on other post, boot pistol.....this is about 7 inch long double click wen triger pulls back wud like a price aswell but thats not as important than the knowlage about it thanks all hh

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 635
  • gun3.JPG
    gun3.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 636
  • gun4.JPG
    gun4.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 637
  • gun6.jpg
    gun6.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 627
  • gun7.jpg
    gun7.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 633

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I'm not an expert on guns by any means but that's a nice one. Is there any writing any where? I'm thinking that it dates 1840's to 50's. I'm sure someone on here can give you more info though.

OP
OP
galaxion

galaxion

Nov 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
just some cosmetic patterns below the cockpiece and a small blank brass plate on the handle doesnt look to ever had any thing on it ....oh and wen its in your right hand rather than the left its feels better and it looks like its a right handed one cause the stock seems to sway to the left it that makes sense in the left hand it looks all crooked to the left i hope that makes sense

Attachments

• Photo0809.jpg
    Photo0809.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 627
  • Photo0806.jpg
    Photo0806.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 619
  • Photo0805.jpg
    Photo0805.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 624
  • Photo0803.jpg
    Photo0803.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 628
  • Photo0810.jpg
    Photo0810.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 620

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I might be wrong but i think someone who really knows guns might be able to tell you the maker by the pattern on the side plates. It's a nice looking gun. Hopefully someone who knows will see this post a give you more info on it.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome keepsake!

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can not tell you who made it but it is a boot pistol,, also stashed inside a coat pocket on the inside of the coat usually. The screw barrel is a fuction of loading it, instead on a ramrod you unscrewed the barrel and filled up the screw part with powder and set the ball on top of the threaded portion, then screwed the barrel back down. Some have a key or wrench that went with them, but were commonly lost. Their was no need for a patch as the ball was a little bit bigger than the bore of the barrel. A thousand makers, made thousands of them, so they are common. and rarely go for more than a hundred bucks, for a well marked one. Circa, 1870s

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arid-Zone-A-seeker said:
Can not tell you who made it but it is a boot pistol,, also stashed inside a coat pocket on the inside of the coat usually. The screw barrel is a fuction of loading it, instead on a ramrod you unscrewed the barrel and filled up the screw part with powder and set the ball on top of the threaded portion, then screwed the barrel back down. Some have a key or wrench that went with them, but were commonly lost. Their was no need for a patch as the ball was a little bit bigger than the bore of the barrel. A thousand makers, made thousands of them, so they are common. and rarely go for more than a hundred bucks, for a well marked one. Circa, 1870s
Seeker you obviously know your stuff,but I must disagree on you dates here.Your price is low as well.I know for a fact that these guns date back to at least the 1830's.I have never seen one from after 1860,could you show me one??
Here are a couple similiar(scroll down)note time periods and prices
http://www.denner.ca/weapons/handguns/index.html
http://www.jcmilitaria.com/antique_weapons.asp?Start=12&Offset=6

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
kuger said:
Arid-Zone-A-seeker said:
Seeker you obviously know your stuff,but I must disagree on you dates here.Your price is low as well.I know for a fact that these guns date back to at least the 1830's.I have never seen one from after 1860,could you show me one??
Here are a couple similiar(scroll down)note time periods and prices
http://www.denner.ca/weapons/handguns/index.html
http://www.jcmilitaria.com/antique_weapons.asp?Start=12&Offset=6

The date of this gun is going to be an educated guess. Also, they most certainly did make percussion cap pistols after 1860. In fact, they still make them. Price is a subjective thing. If the gun could be attibuted to a famous maker, it would raise the value. Most common guns of this type although interesting, aren't terribly valuable.

John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they most certainly did make percussion cap pistols after 1860. I am fully aware of that fact,I wasnt born yesterday! :thumbsup:
Your right they arent highly valuable and the rest is subjective,both ways,just stated they date a lot earlier than the 1870's,I have dug em,have you?

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
kuger said:
they most certainly did make percussion cap pistols after 1860. I am fully aware of that fact,I wasnt born yesterday! :thumbsup:
Your right they arent highly valuable and the rest is subjective,both ways,just stated they date a lot earlier than the 1870's,I have dug em,have you?

I have never dug one. Not sure why that matters ??? I also wasn't trying to be rude. If I rubbed you the wrong way, I apologize for my behavior. Guns can be difficult to date, and that was really all I was pointing out.

John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
kuger said:

I have never dug one. Not sure why that matters ??? I also wasn't trying to be rude. If I rubbed you the wrong way, I apologize for my behavior. Guns can be difficult to date, and that was really all I was pointing out.

John
I probably came off wrong as well,I was not jabbing at you,just wondering how many are have been dug as three of my buddies have dug them as well,and always in 1850's camps(early 1850's)It doesnt matter.
Guns are hard to date but,when they were popular models.Beware searching the net for "pocket pistol",as twice now I have picked up a virus.

OP
OP
galaxion

galaxion

Nov 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
thanks for all the reply,s everyone its good to know thers ppl on here that can help you gain a bit more knowledge thx again

OP
OP
galaxion

galaxion

Nov 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
looked on the sites thers two the the exact same but they gt octogan barrells mine,s circlular barrell r well nice piks thx guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions