What's new

Help with identifying.

Stone

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
309
Reaction score
291
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this interesting bone fragment at 20 mile creek in Frankstown, MS. It appears to be a bone or fragment of bone.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20150716_164358.webp
    ForumRunner_20150716_164358.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 174
  • ForumRunner_20150716_164436.webp
    ForumRunner_20150716_164436.webp
    45 KB · Views: 163
  • ForumRunner_20150716_164502.webp
    ForumRunner_20150716_164502.webp
    46 KB · Views: 173
  • ForumRunner_20150716_164546.webp
    ForumRunner_20150716_164546.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 165
  • ForumRunner_20150716_164610.webp
    ForumRunner_20150716_164610.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 157
  • ForumRunner_20150716_164634.webp
    ForumRunner_20150716_164634.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 164
  • ForumRunner_20150716_164723.webp
    ForumRunner_20150716_164723.webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 158
It certainly appears reptilian, perhaps from the bridge of a carapace, but I don't recognize the pattern on the smooth surface.
 
Yeah I was gonna say turtle but I'm not completely sure
 
I was thinking it was part of a turtle shell but I haven't seen any images in my search that look like it
 
Took this to the local museum today and the curator sent a few pictures to someone at the University and they said that they believe it to be a carapace of a rather thick shelled Cretaceous sea turtle, possibly Bothremys barberi. Not many photos to go by so I can't say for sure if that is the species or not. I will say the the lady at the museum was very excited to see it and told me I have something very special.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom