CD37081E-10F3-4B0A-BC67-E9C62037BA85.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 132

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you're showing two sides of the same ring. Unfortunately, there's not a lot to go on here. Your friend is essentially correct. The 'broad arrow' or 'pheon' mark denotes that whatever this is, or belonged to, it was government property. The mark is most usually related to the "Board of Ordnance" who issued contracts for the supply of arms, ammunition and other equipment as well as provisions for the British military... both navy and army. The trouble is, it has been used for a very long time (since the 14th Century) and for a huge variety of items.

I would suggest contacting the British Museum in London to see if they can determine what it might be. I have always found them to be very helpful. The relevant department and its email contact address are at the link below:

There's more information on how to request identifications at this link, and note that the total size of emails (including attached images) should not exceed 2MB:

Note that the Museum of London, while a great source of information only provides a contact form, not an email address, for online enquiries and you can't attach pictures... so it's less easy to get their help. They will also be closing for a while from 4th December, in preparation for the museum moving location so I expect the curators will be rather busy.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I assume you're showing two sides of the same ring. Unfortunately, there's not a lot to go on here. Your friend is essentially correct. The 'broad arrow' or 'pheon' mark denotes that whatever this is, or belonged to, it was government property. The mark is most usually related to the "Board of Ordnance" who issued contracts for the supply of arms, ammunition and other equipment as well as provisions for the British military... both navy and army. The trouble is, it has been used for a very long time (since the 14th Century) and for a huge variety of items.

I would suggest contacting the British Museum in London to see if they can determine what it might be. I have always found them to be very helpful. The relevant department and its email contact address are at the link below:

There's more information on how to request identifications at this link, and note that the total size of emails (including attached images) should not exceed 2MB:

Note that the Museum of London, while a great source of information only provides a contact form, not an email address, for online enquiries and you can't attach pictures... so it's less easy to get their help. They will also be closing for a while from 4th December, in preparation for the museum moving location so I expect the curators will be rather busy.
Thank you! She is quite familar with the Museum of London and has found many great finds so I will ask her to contact them.

Upvote 1

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very similar object. Solid brass. It was in the ocean right below the gun ports of an old civil war era fort I was snorkeling around this summer. It was the only artifact I found in the area that day. I suspect it to be from the fort's operations in the 1850's-60's, my thoughts were from the gun port hatch, part of a cannon/gun carriage hardware, or part of some tool used for the cannon. It is a very thick heavy brass ring just like that minus the markings, being in the US I don't think we used the arrow to denote military property, the British used it for their equipment alot though.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a very similar object. Solid brass. It was in the ocean right below the gun ports of an old civil war era fort I was snorkeling around this summer. It was the only artifact I found in the area that day. I suspect it to be from the fort's operations in the 1850's-60's, my thoughts were from the gun port hatch, part of a cannon/gun carriage hardware, or part of some tool used for the cannon. It is a very thick heavy brass ring just like that minus the markings, being in the US I don't think we used the arrow to denote military property, the British used it for their equipment alot though.
Thank you. What a cool find that was for you!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an idea but since it wasn’t really definitive I decided to close the thread and mark as solved.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions