What's new

Hit a curb strip being re-sodded, scored the most worn Barber Ive detected!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
Joined
May 13, 2012
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
2,229
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a curb strip being re-sodded, scored the most worn Barber I've detected!

On the way to the grocery store yesterday I saw a curb strip that had all the grass and surface soil scraped off in preparation for sprinkler lines and re-sodding, so I went back after I figured the workers would be gone and did a quick 15 minutes of detecting in front of the 1920s house.

I dug a total of 6 signals, 2 old .22 casings, a 1988 quarter, and these guys:

DSCN1810.webp

DSCN1811.webp

The barber is an 1893 S, and must have been in circulation into the 1930s, maybe later, and weighs about 2.24g.

It came out looking pretty darn nasty, so I popped it in my mouth until the strip was finished, on the off chance it was something good like an 1895-O that wouldn't appreciate rubbing shoulders with the sand and modern dead presidents already populating my pockets. As is obvious now the extra care was unnecessary and some gritty teeth was my reward for such wishful thinking. :laughing7: A quick boil in a small pot with aluminum foil and baking soda cleaned it up good enough for my tastes.

Fresh from the ground (or mouth rather, heh):
DSCN1804.webp

DSCN1805.webp

Happy hunting, people!
 
Upvote 24
Hey thats a nice score there Love the barber even if it is worn :occasion14:
 
Pretty cool!, love the worn barber, that coins seen some use!
 
Strip club ?

Oh Curb strip.

:)
Cool digs.
 
Sweet Barber silver and wheats! Congrats!
 
Dude if you put that thing in your mouth, I don't want to know what else goes in there..:laughing7:. Nice saves.
 
Very nice quick hunt!
 
The barber dime is quite worn down,but you did a super job in cleaning her up.Still a silver coin there my friend.
 
Interesting way to clean things up.... Congrats on the hunt!
 
Not to mention the fact that it's probably been urinated on by 100,000 dogs since dropped in that strip LOL .....:icon_jokercolor::occasion18:
 
Thanks for the comments everyone; not an amazing hunt but it was short, sweet, and very satisfying. Only the 2nd silver found here in Wyoming, though I did get a Shield Nickel earlier this year which was quite a surprise.

Dude if you put that thing in your mouth, I don't want to know what else goes in there..:laughing7:. Nice saves.

Chewing 'baccer... :tongue3:

Not to mention the fact that it's probably been urinated on by 100,000 dogs since dropped in that strip LOL .....:icon_jokercolor::occasion18:

Didn't really think about that, hah. Seemed like the best idea at the time, as I never detect with additional gear/canisters/fanny packs and whatnot to store finds in. Probably have a pretty good immune system from grubbing around in dirt and letting cuts get full of grime, etc. Aside from getting bit by 3 ticks carrying Colorado Tick Fever in the most absolutely unwelcome place a man can discover bloodsucking insects on his person, I haven't been sick/infected in years.
 
Ummmm hmmmm tastes like poodle :P
 
I found a barber quarter that must have been carried for good luck - back was smooth and you could barely see out line of head
Id go back to that spot - barb dime good sign :thumbsup:
 
Congrats on that those digs. :thumbsup: Any Barber is better than no Barber. You exploited the situation to your advantage
 
I dug two last year a few weeks apart that were worn smooth. The first one was 1890s and the second I think was an 1895. The second one was so smooth that you practically have to hold it at an angle to read the date on it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom