hmmmm...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
first of all, this is a fantasy piece. It conforms to no style I am familiar with in the PNW. And what is this "COA"... who? Then there is the sellers other offerings... my goodness, what a unique collection of exceptional G-10 rare and wonderful types, lithics, and variety. Everything from Clovis, Dalton, pipes, banner stones, discoidals, gorgets, and pots... you name it, a truly one stop shop!

Opinions please.... perhaps I am just naive.

Upvote 2

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep every item is fake, whats sad is the ppl bidding on them, you'll never be able to tell them their fake, they'll deny deny deny,and end up posting them in forums like this , then get upset when told thier fake, as for COA anybody can make and print one of those out, never heard of him. Ebay is full of fraud...

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
eBay needs this for artifacts bigtime!

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Concur.

It looks like its styled after a Gunther barbed point.

A sham style of COA company.
site reads "Any evaluation is strictly based on opinion and our best to date knowledge and experience. This is not a warranty or guarantee for establishing value. No liability is assumed by Midwest Evaluations due to its evaluation works. "

"Our best to date knowledge and experience", is completely subjective.

Zero, zip, nada information concerning who operates this front to spit out reproduction COA.

Add another scammer to the list with Jeff Baker and Tom Shenk.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
DNS lookup below, yields no information except it was registered on 01/17/2023 which is interesting.

Could be a new fly by night COA paper mill, or an existing known, relabeling themselves in an attempt to fly under the radar.

Domain: midwestartifactevaluation.com
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registered On: 2023-01-17
Expires On: 2024-01-17
Updated On: 2023-01-18

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
It's interesting to note that the text on the reproduction COA matches that exactly of the "demo" COA on the web site.
1705269424463.png

The PO box in New Albany google search is interesting too.
Po Box 851 New Albany In 47151

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen this sellers stuff on Ebay for awhile now. All fakes, 100%. He's not alone. Sad, Ebay has seriously harmed artifact collectors due to selling fakes to gullible buyers worldwide. Their COA's are just toilet paper. There are 2 sellers I know that deal in deep south and Florida stuff. They sell the real deal. Nearly all their stuff is pretty beat up and few are anywhere near perfect.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
calling something G-10 is a pretty clear admission of fake. However having said that, at the end of the 19th century some Native folk out west were making beautiful stuff not for use but specifically for collection/trade.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Once years ago I wanted to see what an African point looked like up close so I ordered one for $25 it was a grab bag deal. They sent me a $1 scraper. I called them and said things I can’t repeat. I got my $ back and have never ordered again from eBay. Once in a while when I get bored I will surf it just to see what’s around but that hasn’t been lately.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are so many knappers nationwide now the amount of new flint points is staggering. However, all you need is a low end stereo microscope and spotting fakes is child’s play. No one can fake all the mineral deposits you find on old artifacts that are easily seen under the scope. No one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread