What's new

Horn-shaped brass object from colonial site

Almy

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
2,010
Reaction score
3,978
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The pictured object it 1 7/8" long, large end diameter is 1 1/8" and small end diameter 5/8". There is a thickened lengthwise rib inside suggesting it was made by overlapping and fusing. Nothing is regular and it looks handmade. All artifacts I have found on this site are colonial era. Has anyone seen anything like it?
 
This should help a little.

Beth
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1344.webp
    IMG_1344.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_1345.webp
    IMG_1345.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_1346.webp
    IMG_1346.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_1347.webp
    IMG_1347.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 981
Upvote 0
Thanks, Beth. My pictures were a bit too large! Have to figurer out how to correct that in future posts. Marco
 
Upvote 0
You should post some of the other stuff found with it.Could be end of a blunderbuss - or many other things
 
Upvote 0
Tip from a bellows?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
As suggested, a photo of the other items I found is attached. It might not be obvious in the picture, but the walls of the object are quite thin (about 3/32") so would not likely hold the pressure needed for a firearm. I had not thought of bellows part, but that is a possibility. One I did think of is part of a powder horn but I cannot recall seeing one part brass.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1343.webp
    IMG_1343.webp
    303 KB · Views: 504
Upvote 0
Sorry, I made a mistake on the thickness. It is actually 1/16" or 1mm thick.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom