How can I clean this?

Redfox1076

Greenie
Jan 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452203054.952422.jpg So I just found this at the beach and it's covered in algae I believe it's agate and it definitely sparkles already after just some warm water, any suggestions??

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1257305 So I just found this at the beach and it's covered in algae I believe it's agate and it definitely sparkles already after just some warm water, any suggestions??
Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like druzy quartz.
I would try Oxilic acid. Bathe overnight and check it daily till you get the results you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Redfox1076

Greenie
Jan 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome I appreciate it. Your probably right about it being Quartz as well because there is a lot of Quartz here. On another note what is oxilic acid and is there a common household alternative or does it possibly go by another name?

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thompson's water seal cleaner has oxalic acid, just make sure you read the back and it will have a warning saying it has oxalic acid in it. Just make sure you:
1) use rubber gloves
2) mix the acid in water, not water into acid. If you use Thompson's, use the full gallon (about $15) and if you want to dilute it a little, add no more than 1 gallon first, then dump in the Thompson's. I've used it before and it works great.
3) get an el-cheapo hard wire brush, they cost like $2. The wire isn't nearly hard enough to scratch quartz.

You can keep re-using that stuff for a long time as long as you clean and dry your specimens before dunking them so you don't affect the Ph any more than you have to. One batch would clean at least dozen or more rocks the size of a cantaloupe.

Start with hot water from the tap, it will cool down but just don't let it get cold (like below 50 F or so) or it will lose it's efficacy. It will take at least a day or two to eat off the stuff or loosen it up, so don't get discouraged even if it takes the better part of a week. It works great against any organic matter like algae and tannin and also takes off iron staining.

A cheaper and better way is to just get raw oxalic acid, but it is not likely to be readily available nearby, you'll have to order it off eBay or something. I got 2lbs of it for $15 off eBay and that will do about 12-15 gallons or so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents - If you have patience, a milder acidic solution is sometimes better to try first. Vinegar/lemon juice/coke with a bit of salt in a bath for a few days or a week sometimes works wonders, without subjecting your specimen to something with harsh or unknown consequences....

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bleach tends to make quick work of algae.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Redfox1076

Greenie
Jan 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very glad I joined tnet you are all so helpful I'm going to try putting it in bleach for a short time and then do the vinager cola mix

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread