What's new

how can you tell???

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
952
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I posted a pipe earlier and made a bold, if possibly uninformed, statement that "I guarantee it wasn't a tourist piece or some such". That statement was challenged.

I don't have a problem in the world with that. In fact I welcome the opportunity to learn from this experience, but simply stating "it isn't" doesn't tell me anything constructive.

What is it about the piece that tells you it is for the tourist trade and not authentic? That info could be useful to myself as well as others anxious to expand our knowledge base.

Thankyou,

willing student
 
Upvote 0
I posted a pipe earlier and made a bold, if possibly uninformed, statement that "I guarantee it wasn't a tourist piece or some such". That statement was challenged.

I don't have a problem in the world with that. In fact I welcome the opportunity to learn from this experience, but simply stating "it isn't" doesn't tell me anything constructive.

What is it about the piece that tells you it is for the tourist trade and not authentic? That info could be useful to myself as well as others anxious to expand our knowledge base.

Thankyou,

willing student

I have gotten so mad that my blood boiled over the same thing. I saw it happen to you today. I started to post "what makes you feel it's a reproduction". But, have been through it time and time again. When the opportunity comes about to drop knowledge on an obvious artifact, the subject is tackled. When one is questionable, or different ( better word) they just shoot you dead. Bang. No explanation. Gets away with me every time I see it.
 
Bravo
The reason I suggested possible Mayan is because I have seen similar faced items from that culture kinda like this one.I never thought it to be a tourist item.:icon_thumleft:

wpd9a6fd56_28.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom