What's new

How do YOU react?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Smee
  • Start date Start date
as long as men cover up.
No dresses, speedos or tbacks
I Don't judge anyone
by what they wear.


I Judge them by the first words out their mouth.

I'd even trust somone in a Tux
or the Lone Ranger if the
first words out their Mouth arn't rude.
 
Personally, I rarely agreed with things Juan said. This time however, I agree with his assessment and statement.
I already have an aversion of flying and I would be even more uncomfortable if I saw ANYTHING that triggered a response of additional fear.

I guess that it boils down to the fact we need to be aware of our surroundings and potential hazards. It could be anything from a druggie carjacker, a nutjob shooting up people in the mall or a school or a grocery store robber. Would you even be able to distinguish these people 5-10 minutes before their act? Maybe, maybe not.....

Best,
Scott
 
I don't start off judging people by how they dress. After I talk to them, I form my opinion. Profiling. Profiling is basically an association with dress and mannerisms that have caused you problems in the past. Nothin wrong with it. Depends on how you act on it and the results afterwards whether it was justified. I was 'profiled' once, I felt. I went to a Vicente Fernandez concert in Denver. Security and Denver cops surrounded me when I entered. I was the only gringo white American I could see. They said, 'Excuse me sir, but we need to check under your hat and check your boot legs.' They weren't stoppin the Mexicans who all wore boots and hats. I told them the only reason they stopped me was because they couldn't speak Spanish and they figured I spoke English. I was fixin to get fired up and get really po'd, but the one security guy told me 'Sir, you're the only gringo here among 10,000 Mexicans, so we gotta assume you're a bad dude and might be carryin'. I thought that was funnier than crap really and let it go.
 
Remember Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop, there is a scene where he notices the guys in trench coats in Summer at the Strip Club? He wasn't Profiling. Sometimes you just notice stuff that ain't right, for the situation!!!
Be aware of what is going on around you. I remember working as a store Merchandise Recovery Person and saw a guy in July with a trench coat and "Big Bulge" in his coat, come to find out he was carrying out a VHS recorder. Yeah that was a "little" while ago!!!
 
Just a couple of weeks ago we had a young man in a suit and a AK-47 firing shots into the ground here at UT,hard to figure out what made him do it or why he wore a suit,but on that note allot has changed since 9-1-1 at one time we feared people with a German/Japanese/or Russian accent and now,nobody seems to care.
That's my 2 cents :icon_scratch:
 
As a child I suffered from being picked on by school mates, because my parents were Russian Citizens. My father left there because he was captured by Germans and Stalin considered that treason, and families were tortured for their son's being taken as prisoner. My father changed his name to save his family, and was listed as KIA (Killed In Action).
He never contacted his family and then when the Cold War was over it was too late. He still agonizes about not being able to contact his family.
My school mates used to say "Better dead then Red" (Russian, Red = Communist) to me because they learned that from their parents. Sometimes people don't know someones background and that is no reason for prejudice. Being cautious is one thing, being ignorant is another. Remember those you point out or profile may be innocent!
On the other hand if someone is walking down the street with a gun, looking pissed off, it's time to run and call for help!!!
 
Quote:
"As a child I suffered from being picked on by school mates, because my parents were Russian Citizens."

Да благословит вас Господь за то, что сильный гражданин!
(forgive my speaking...been a long time since I've used Russian....)

Best,
Scott
 
Thanks Scott, only one problem. I don't speak Russian, born and bred right here in Connecticut, USA. Served in the U.S. Navy 4years active 2 years reserves. My father translated : He said its something like {Yes the Lord that the strong citizen will bless you!} I don't know? Thank you anyway!!! Steve
 
Steve07 said:
Thanks Scott, only one problem. I don't speak Russian, born and bred right here in Connecticut, USA. Served in the U.S. Navy 4years active 2 years reserves. My father translated : He said its something like {Yes the Lord that the strong citizen will bless you!} I don't know? Thank you anyway!!! Steve

It's all good...
I'll stop with my linguistic abilities here...
Tell you Father...
Пусть Бог будет с вами.

"Nuff said...

Best,
Scott
 
Sorry Scott, he's an atheist!!!
He did say "Blessed be those that believe!" Steve
 
Steve07 said:
Sorry Scott, he's an atheist!!!
He did say "Blessed be those that believe!" Steve

Steve,
I respect everyone's belief.

Best Wishes,
Scott
 
I profiled once a woman went into WalMart with her son (around age 9) he had on a heavy winter coat and a flat back pack, Weird because it was middle of July! Manager would NOT put security on them .... as they left he looked like he had gained 40 pounds. They ripped the store off all the time !
 
Mental Granny said:
I profiled once a woman went into WalMart with her son (around age 9) he had on a heavy winter coat and a flat back pack, Weird because it was middle of July! Manager would NOT put security on them .... as they left he looked like he had gained 40 pounds. They ripped the store off all the time !

maybe it was the Owner's wife :wink:

You ever see the Vids on you tube
on the People of Wall Mart ?
 
I have seen the still pics not any videos .... I was working there when (she) was in store an watched her an I couldn't do any thing about it since I wasn't security. The thing is she wasn't taking food ect. It was dozens of pairs of frilly under clothes, makeup, CD's, movies ect.
And even though taking food is still stealing, I would never tell on someone who is just trying to feed their families or themself. EVER!
 
Mental Granny said:
And even though taking food is still stealing, I would never tell on someone who is just trying to feed their families or themself. EVER!

A number of people have this same attitude, which I totally disagree with...As a business person, I like other people in business, put our personal money at-risk to make a profit...and someone taking a five-finger-discount is stealing food from my family's mouth...

Stealing, regardless of the value or excuse, is not acceptable...

But tell me you're hungry and I will feed you...
 
i profile the hell out of everyone...everyone...all the time....

Juan Williams was right...he just said what every one thinks...

so it is only 1 percent of the money npr needs to keep running...cancel it...they can make it up or cut back a little...
 
Personally, and I could be wrong, but I would bet that 99% of all people do this CONSCIOUSLY. I think they DO profile, they just don't admit to it.

It is, however, a great point to use to bash your opponents --- accusing them of profiling and being "prejudiced" etc.
 
Smee said:
Personally, and I could be wrong, but I would bet that 99% of all people do this CONSCIOUSLY. I think they DO profile, they just don't admit to it.

It is, however, a great point to use to bash your opponents --- accusing them of profiling and being "prejudiced" etc.

I can tell by Your avatar that I don't like you. :wink: :tongue3:
 
Smee said:
good ;D

BTW, are you Chip or Dale? :icon_scratch:

Speaking of profiling...for conversation purposes only, if Ken of Ken & Barby was gay, do we assume that Chip is light in the loafers as well...or is it Dale...have to run a voice analysis :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom