How To Detect A City Park Renovation

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
How do you go into a newly begun park renovation in progress. Workers being there surely isn't a great time to go trooping in, and with machinery being left there after darkness, some security, even local PD cruisers...will notice any lights in the constructions. I suspect a fly by night security dude possibly being around also.

How do we get in before the cement gets poured in really old ground, before the piles of dirt are hauled off? Such a shame to sit and watch 8-12 inches scraped, from a place which has produced a lot of old coins until the shallow stuff(10 ") was found over years.

Assuming that a Saturday or Sunday could be downtime for the crew...that's no guarantee.

How fo you work such an opportunity?

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Talk with the job foreman, get permission to go in during the day when the crews are gone. I am friends with the city park employee that is in charge of city park maintenance, this definitely helps. Find out who is in charge in your area.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info we pay for the parks truck to get an ok or put on a orange vest like your looking for a gas line lol I've met many parks maintenance people they are pretty cool people

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Talk with the job foreman, get permission to go in during the day when the crews are gone. I am friends with the city park employee that is in charge of city park maintenance, this definitely helps. Find out who is in charge in your area.

Thanks, but I must ask, "Isn't asking the responsible person in charge, likely to get "the liability" excuse, and told to stay out entirely?" I'd like to at least get one hunt in. I assume that it's trespass after being told STAY OUT! You can get away with it once until being told NO.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Just get out there and do it after the workers are done for the day.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Just get out there and do it after the workers are done for the day.

Well, one reason is it will be dark, couple of people using small flashlights or headlamps, in an area right in the central part of town. Dozers and bob cat machinery left on site. Logic says that the local PD or possibly an onsite security person at minimum wage, is very possible. If I was in charge there, I'd have security.

You likely have the best option though. One scram is better than a ban from asking permission.

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weekends when nobody workin As far as the liability goes I've said in the past I have full health care coverage

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
If nothing else, if there digging and trucking it off, find out where there trucking it off to. Maybe a few pickers in there.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am assuming it was OK to hunt there before the renovation so that should take care of the liability issue. Ask the job foreman if he likes beer. If so, what brand? Then get him a case before you ask to hunt.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will be fine go on the weekend your not hurting anything

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be jumping fences , but if it's open , and you can go in after the workers are done for the day - hunt it - just don't violate any Keep Out , No Trespassing signs !

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy lunch for everyone working the site. A hot plate of Nachos goes a long way in gaining some time detecting.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just revamped a park in my area 2 years ago. I would go on weekends when they were not working. Made some excellent old coin and jewelry finds. They brought in new dirt, spread it around, and I haven't found a thing since. It was good for the 3 months that it lasted. I found Seated's, Large Cent's, Indians, Barber's, and recent silver. Now I'm back to Zincoln's and Rosies. Dont go to that park very much anymore. Hit it when you can.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public park with no signs, I go after hours and detect it all, found a few silvers doing that... Better to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission in that situation...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread