What's new

How would you handle this?

Jason H.

Full Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2010
Messages
135
Reaction score
134
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
MXT
A friend and I found an old abandoned school out in the country that looks like a promising site for coins. We did some research online and discovered that the owner lives about 25 miles away, in the city. We found his address and phone number, but we've never tried to ask permission from someone who doesn't live on the property we'd like to detect. We're feeling rather awkward about how to approach this- do we knock on his door and tell him we figured out he owns that property that's miles away, and could we detect there? A phone call from out of the blue also might seem strange. What would you do? Thanks for any suggestions.
 
You should always seek and obtain permission when detecting on private land. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'd probably do it in person, but that's just me.
 
First suggestion... :dontknow: Go to his door and ask to talk to him directly. If you can... talk to him directly. THEN, make certain he is the owner of the property you want to search (for sure). Then common sense kicks in after that point. Tell him why your ASKING and offer to show him the items you find if permission granted. Maybe offer to have him there to watch you and share in the property search.

I've never asked anybody yet... but it's coming soon. Best wishes... Brad
 
Get permission I deal with permission in a very strange and unusal way.Its really up to you to find a way to do it so you wont feel awkward.
 
I would never detect without permission.
 
Take the 25 mile trip and speak to the owner in person; it's the right thing to do!
 
He's not suggesting hunting without permission. He is asking what is the best way to ask for permission. You guys are getting too touchy on that subject with all the permission threads lately

I would do it in person. It's much easier for someone to say no over the phone then in person
 
He's not suggesting hunting without permission. He is asking what is the best way to ask for permission. You guys are getting too touchy on that subject with all the permission threads lately

I would do it in person. It's much easier for someone to say no over the phone then in person

Thanks Turbo21, I didn't realize my post might be interpreted as it has by some responders. I've never detected anywhere without permission and have no intention to do so here. I was just concerned that the owner would find it strange/invasive that I researched a property of his and showed up at his door. Just putting myself in his shoes, it would seem odd. Regarding phone versus in person, that was my thought as well- my chances are probably better in person. Thanks again.
 
First suggestion... :dontknow: Go to his door and ask to talk to him directly. If you can... talk to him directly. THEN, make certain he is the owner of the property you want to search (for sure). Then common sense kicks in after that point. Tell him why your ASKING and offer to show him the items you find if permission granted. Maybe offer to have him there to watch you and share in the property search.

I've never asked anybody yet... but it's coming soon. Best wishes... Brad

Yeah, that's true- I should confirm first that he does still own the property. Thanks Brad.
 
My apologies. I got this thread off on the wrong foot. But sometimes people are asking whether they should ask or just detect a location without permission.

I agree with the others. As I said above you should always ask in person. It may be a little awkward but start by telling the owner about your hobby. Explain that his property (or hers) piqued your interest because there was once a school there and you are hoping to find some coins and other things from that era. Offer to let him observe you while you detect. Explain that you will be careful and you won't leave holes all over the property.

Finally, you may need to hash out terms in advance on the off chance that you find something of real value. You should get this in writing.
 
Last edited:
My apologies. I got this thread off on the wrong foot. But sometimes people are asking whether they should ask or just detect a location without permission.

I agree. As I said above you should always ask in person. It may be a little awkward but start by telling the owner about your hobby. Explain that his property (or hers) piqued your interest because there was once a school there and you are hoping to find some coins and other things from that era. Offer to let him observe you while you detect. Explain that you will be careful and you won't leave holes all over the property.

Finally, you may need to hash out terms in advance on the off chance that you find something of real value. You should get this in writing.

That's okay. I've seen the posts you're referring to, so I understand.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like asking in person is really the only way to go. Those are sensible suggestions.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom