What's new

Hunted Trashy Old River Swim Beach

Buried Crap NJ

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2009
Messages
658
Reaction score
233
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now that I have the GT decided to tackle a trashy beach I use to hunt as a kid I thought I could get some good targets. I have always found sinkers buy the pound here.I keep them there as good as money. This beach has been loosing sand for years, very rarely does sand go back on this beach, thirty years ago this beach was 200 ft deeper. Since the late 1870's to about 1920 it was recreational. Turn into a boat yard in 1920, hence the trash copper nails screws, lead and parts.The 1940's it was taken over by the town and became the town beach. In the 1970's and 80's lots of school rings came from the waters, along with other gold. A month ago 1946 school ring came out from a buddy of mine.
Now it see's few hunters as it's just too troublesome to hunt!
Settings for this hunt .Discriminate set almost to full disc. Sensitivity Auto Threshold set to buzz then in silent! I tried to listen but it was killing me with pops and nulls every inch. That fishing reel (beach)was 20 inches down. The 1942 silver quarter (water)had iron stuck to it. Junk ring and plated toe ring. 31 coins, belt buckle,lures Junk copper. It was fund day wind chill was 15 degrees!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0272.webp
    IMG_0272.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0273.webp
    IMG_0273.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 746
Upvote 0
I would think you should not have full disc. Dig up some of the old stuff, and get it cleaned out. If you disc it out, you wont get any 10 k gold, maybe even the 14 k. I would go with low disc, and not get iron, and work it hard. Yes, you will find all kinds of stuff and aluminum, but you wont find iron, and you might find more gold.
 
Looks like you have a great beach for some old potential,Yes I would also lower the discriminate and methodically clean out the area!!! Why not?? No pain No gain!
 
I will slowly bring the Discrimination down, at some point. Just too many targets. When you dig the good targets you see 20 bronze screws in you pile of sand. All these come in as good targets when you lower discrimination. I also lowered the discrimination and barely used any sensitivity, that also blocked the screws. Loss of depth though.The dials on the detector are supposed to be moved around that's why there are there I been doing this about 36 years I think I got it covered. I am going to see what screw is most prevalent in size and notch it out.
This 1946 class ring came out of the junk late last year. Keep you posted.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0169.webp
    IMG_0169.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_0170.webp
    IMG_0170.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0169.webp
    IMG_0169.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0170.webp
    IMG_0170.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 614
Sounds like ya got a good plan - keep workin it and it'll payoff!! Good luck to ya!
 
BC, you might want to toss all of those copper nails into a pail. when its full it will weigh over 50 lbs and around $3 a lb will put a smile on your face. so not only would you be removing the pain in the butt targets it pays for your fuel. just a thought.

Steve :-)
 
kaptainkosmic said:
BC, you might want to toss all of those copper nails into a pail. when its full it will weigh over 50 lbs and around $3 a lb will put a smile on your face. so not only would you be removing the pain in the butt targets it pays for your fuel. just a thought.

Steve :-)
Good advice I always wanted to start doing that but never did. I will start though.
 
I keep all trash. Have buckets set up in the garage. When I get home from a hunt I sort my items iron, aluminum, brass, and copper all have there own buckets. I then sell it all in the spring when scrap prices is the highest. This is what you should so with all the stuff you are fining it all will add up.....Matt
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom