I am in Central Iowa, anyone else out there?

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
I am new to the hobby and live in central Iowa, marion county. I am interested in finding any other people interested in the hobby. I noticed that the Iowa section on the forum seems to be hit and miss so I thought I would take the initiative to get the chatter going. I have a Surveying background so the research is right up my alley. Please let me know if The hobby is alive and well in Iowa. I have already met up with another person from this forum and we have hunted together. It's great to have others out with you even if you have to watch them make great finds. Thanks for reading this,

HH,

Dave

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey drodda I live in Southeastern Iowa.. but have relatives west of Des Moines so it's possible we could meet up!

OP
OP
drodda777

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Jazdo,

Sounds like a plan, Let me know when you are going to be in this area? I think Dr. Ace (Bruce) had talked to you about coming down to your area also. Maybe we all three can get together and dig some dirt.

Thanks for replying to my post, Maybe together we can breath some life into the Iowa section of this forum?

Let me know if you want to get out for a hunt?

HH,

Dave

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave
I live just SE of Hartford, and just purchased a Garrett Ace 250. I haven't MD'd in many years and am excited to start on this hobby again. If you are interested in getting together let me know as I sure could benefit from someone who is more experienced.
David

Tony_ia

Sep 22, 2009
Altoona, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Im gonna be ready for a hunt real soon...been a few years since I sold my Explorer, but I just got it replaced today so I am excited to get back out there and dig some silver.

I want to get out while the weather is still nice, I like to pull the doors off my Jeep and cruise the backroads searching for old homes...sometimes I find one I want to hunt right away so I drive from house to house looking for landowners, lol. I do that with my photography too, haha. I use google earth to find old foundations and mark them on my sportsmans atlas then go visit the nieghbors. A buddy and I have had great luck in local Des Moines parks, my best find was a beautiful 1913 dime...10 minutes later he dug an old shield nickle, the bum, haha.
At the moment I dont care where I hunt as long as I can get out and dig some coins, I may hit up a local park tomorrow and see if I can pull anymore silver...we hunted this park all summer with our minelabs and the silver is starting to dry up but there is still more to be found, its a huge park and I know we havnt covered every inch..although it seems like it, lol.

I just love to hunt, it dont really matter where...as long as its an old site, Im not a fan of clad unless its a ton of quarters :laughing9: My Jeep will get me about anywhere I want to go, I just gotta go hunt some clad for gas, haha....clad is good for some things :tongue3:
I am hooked on silver coins, but depending on the age of the site I will relic hunt as well, not to big on jewlery hunting...especialy gold, I hate having to dig every signal but that just leaves it for you to find. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread