I started Phase 4 of the Cemetery Restoration Project .. New stone recovered today

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
In the first photo below, you can see the stones I reset during Phase 3. For the past several days, I have been clearing out the jungle, which you can see beyond the gravestones. All the mounds you see undoubtedly hide many old stones that were pushed from the cemetery back in the mid-1960s by a drunk guy on a bulldozer. My task right now is to very slowly and carefully scratch through the piles to see what I can recover. This will be a long, tedious process. Today, I recovered the first new stone from the mounds.
Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 9.53.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 9.30.44 PM.jpg

Upvote 17

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first photo below, you can see the stones I reset during Phase 3. For the past several days, I have been clearing out the jungle, which you can see beyond the gravestones. All the mounds you see undoubtedly hide many old stones that were pushed from the cemetery back in the mid-1960s by a drunk guy on a bulldozer. My task right now is to very slowly and carefully scratch through the piles to see what I can recover. This will be a long, tedious process. Today, I recovered the first new stone from the mounds.
View attachment 2084544 View attachment 2084545
What’s the deal with the guy on the bulldozer?

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What’s the deal with the guy on the bulldozer?
The cemetery had become overgrown with tall grass and vines, so the church hired somebody to clean it up.
The guy they hired was supposed to hand clean and brush hog between the rows of stones. Instead, he showed up drunk at 5 in the morning with a bulldozer and proceeded to destroy the entire cemetery.

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
The cemetery had become overgrown with tall grass and vines, so the church hired somebody to clean it up.
The guy they hired was supposed to hand clean and brush hog between the rows of stones. Instead, he showed up drunk at 5 in the morning with a bulldozer and proceeded to destroy the entire cemetery.
Hope he wound up in jail. And then after time served, out their helping you

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very classy stand up act on your part to take on the clearing and fixing of this old cemetery A good friend of mine that now resides in a cemetery use to say talking is easy but doing is hard. Best of luck as you work towards restoring the area aso a tribute to those that found a final resting place .

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Creskol. I remember your previous posts on the Cemetery clean up project. It looks better with each phase you accomplish. I'll bet that is a task that 99 out of 100 people would not even think of attempting. You deserve an award of some sort, from the local community.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you creskol. This is a pic of the oldest head stone I can find online of a direct family member. She was my 4th grandmother. Maybe someday I could visit it and see about fixing it up somehow.

Rhoda Goble Brandenburg b. 9/30/1778 - d. 10/31/1857
Daughter of Caleb and Sarah (Leasure) Goble. Wife of Henry Brandenburg, who she married on May 23, 1809 in Warren County, Ohio by George Harlan Esq.
Henry was born in 1776 in Somerset Co., PA and died 1874 in Union City, IN.

Attachments

• 159904576_9f3502eb-c5e6-4d0f-bc04-049d4c33ab55.jpeg
    159904576_9f3502eb-c5e6-4d0f-bc04-049d4c33ab55.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The verse at the bottom of the stone says it all for you Creskol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread