Id like some info on these marbles Ive found, please...

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like some info on these marbles I've found, please...

I don't necessarily collect marbles but I do keep ones that I've found in the wild... Here are some pics of all the marbles I own and I'll tell you where each of them came from... None of them are perfectly round and a few are pitted as you can see... I'd like to know if the 2 red ones and the large blue one is porcelain and also the names of each if there is one and also approximate age. I know absolutely nothing about marbles so I'm hoping someone here can help. THX

MARBLES 1.jpg
MARBLES 2.jpg

1,4,5 - I found these under the floorboards of an old house that I was helping a friend work on a few years ago. Porcelain?

2,3,6,7 - All of these were found in the woods while looking for bottles.

Close-ups

MARBLES 3.jpg
MARBLES 4.jpg
MARBLES 5.jpg
MARBLES 6.jpg
MARBLES 7.jpg

Thanks for looking

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought someone would have had some interest in this by now :(

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
739617d1360614710-id-like-some-info-these-marbles-ive-found-please-marbles-3.jpg

Hey WIT,

Are the 2 reds glazed clay? Is the left one drilled, or is that a kiln mark? Those 2 may be red Benningtons, though they are the reddest I've yet seen...

I'm not at all versed in the many types of marbles, though I have jars full. There is a marble forum or 2 of which you might inquire, should one of our members not see these and identify them.

thumb_l678_1140067313.jpg

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
739617d1360614710-id-like-some-info-these-marbles-ive-found-please-marbles-3.jpg

Hey WIT,

Are the 2 reds glazed clay? Is the left one drilled, or is that a kiln mark? Those 2 may be red Benningtons, though they are the reddest I've yet seen...

I'm not at all versed in the many types of marbles, though I have jars full. There is a marble forum or 2 of which you might inquire, should one of our members not see these and identify them.

thumb_l678_1140067313.jpg

Surf,

I have no idea if they are glazed clay or if the mark is drilled or from a kiln :dontknow:... I really don't know a thing about marbles. How would I tell? I do only see the mark on the one though so what would that possibly mean? I took a few more photos of them although I can do better... here you go..

RED MARBLES 1.jpg
RED MARBLES 2.jpg
RED MARBLES 3.jpg
RED MARBLES 4.jpg

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if those are red benningtons there would be much interest in them....are they glazed??

They do appear to be shinier than a clay marble and appear as though they could possibly be glazed... I wish I could answer that question without any doubts.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
do they have any weight to them??
or do they seem like little clay balls...that one does have the "eyes" of a bennington where they abutted during the glazing...where are you..i might know a collector near you....

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds i found a bunch a few years ago almost filled a pint jar up some of them can be worth some money

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wish i could find some hand rolled marbles

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do they have any weight to them??
or do they seem like little clay balls...that one does have the "eyes" of a bennington where they abutted during the glazing...where are you..i might know a collector near you....

The one with the "hole" is a little over 6g and the other one is a little over 5.7g

I'm in Minneapolis, MN

THX

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you can buy quite a big lot of Bennington marbles for not much money on eBay. Out of all of them, I thought the big blue one may have been worth something.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey WIT,

Marbles are either glass, clay, or natural stones. I have no idea what their gram weight might be. The marble guys seem to go by diameters in inches, when describing sizes. I can clearly tell a glazed clay marble from a glass marble by the look, and feel in hand.

Is the black spot a hole, as in drilled or pierced? Your second set of photos make it appear to be a glazing issue, or surface debris. Is it rough? I don't believe it's a pontil.

Here's a blue Bennington in the wild:

5694603499_1029cfab9a.jpg

You can see the bullseye mark of which duffytrash spoke. They come in various sizes and colors.

DSC03584_zps45f7f40a.jpg

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mite check with Museum of american glass/National marble museum in West Virginia, Maybe they can help

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey WIT,

Marbles are either glass, clay, or natural stones. I have no idea what their gram weight might be. The marble guys seem to go by diameters in inches, when describing sizes. I can clearly tell a glazed clay marble from a glass marble by the look, and feel in hand.

Is the black spot a hole, as in drilled or pierced? Your second set of photos make it appear to be a glazing issue, or surface debris. Is it rough? I don't believe it's a pontil.

Here's a blue Bennington in the wild:

5694603499_1029cfab9a.jpg

You can see the bullseye mark of which duffytrash spoke. They come in various sizes and colors.

DSC03584_zps45f7f40a.jpg

Well they definitely aren't glass and I highly doubt they are natural stone judging by the weight and feel so I'm leaning towards glazed clay at this point. They are definitely both rough to the touch and I'm thinking that the "hole" is just a defect since it's only on the one.

Here are a couple measurements of the one in both inches & mm.

Thanks for all the help!

RED MARBLE DIAM 1.jpg
RED MARBLE DIAM 2.jpg

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mite check with Museum of american glass/National marble museum in West Virginia, Maybe they can help

Thanks, I may do that if it seems worth it. At first I was more or less trying to name and possibly date them.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The red and blue ones look to be clay, not benningtons, from the pics provided (I've seen "eyes" like your red one has on clays, they aren't just found on bennies)...probably turn of the century to the 1940s. #2 is interesting looking, but I can't tell what it is. Maybe a peltier swirl. #3 is a slag marble from turn of the century to the early thirties.. The black ones I guess are just game marbles (probably from the '40s or later) unless you can find an interesting feature about them.

Last edited:

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
red in a bennington is a unheard of color..pinks are known and desireable...but rare....there are red clays that are dyed...if you have anything in salt glaze...like old crocks that you can compare the marble to....the eye on the one is a bennington trait...not a defect...iding of marbles sometimes is impossible b y pictures...i didnt mean the actual weight of the object but that if it had weight to it compared to its size...clay marbles are feather light....an experienced collector needs to ck out your marble...is the color leaning to pink?? the price you see on ebay is not a pricing tool...if benningtons sell for a dollar or two..that is fine....theres lots more 50 cent marbles that 50$ ones.....just think if you had a qt jar of benningtons....that would be eaisly a 50$ value......there are collectors tat just collect bennies or clays....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread