What's new

Ike FAQ

TxTim

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
2,735
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
This is from the Federal Reserve website:


Q: How can I obtain an Eisenhower dollar?

A: Most Eisenhower dollars are in circulation. The US Mint discontinued minting Eisenhower dollars in December 1978 and the last of the Eisenhower dollars were distributed to the Federal Reserve Banks in April 1979. Because the Eisenhower dollars are no longer minted, the Reserve Banks cannot order them from the US Mint and supply them to banks. Coin dealers listed in the telephone yellow pages usually have a supply of Eisenhower dollars.
 
Upvote 0
Tim,

Hmmmmm....

The website does not say the Fed does not have any sitting in their vaults, only they cannot order them from the Mint any longer.

I have heard numerous stories concerning the IKE's.

I have heard they don't have any like the website statement implies, I have heard they have lots of them just don't release them, tellers tell me they have no way to order them and I have been told you can order dollar coins and hope they dig down deep enough to get you a bag of Ike's.

I wish there was some way to get a definitive answer, one that you would believe.

Thanks for the info,

CLZinTX
 
The reason the tellers tell you that they can not order them is because they are not on their order form. They have to call their reserve bank and order them. The reserve bank will send them with Brinks to your bank. You have to find a teller willing to make the call to the fed reserve for you. You will more than likely have to buy a full $1000 bag. I just got one from the St Louis reserve. I found several silver ones in that bag but nothing but Ikes. They were all loose and none in rolls just in a big plastic bag. If you want some of mine let me know.

Thanks
Cat
 
hello,
all of mine are from tellers that have that stash in their drawer that they are more than happy to get rid of. I have not got a silver one, yet, but have got a 1972P type II from one teller, called the king of Ike's. A variety type with no distinct islands on globe. it is fun till searching. take care
 
I went to my bank last week for my halves, & the teller told me she had a roll of 20 Ikes someone brought in. I bought those also. Ron
 
My teller will get me all the bags I want. I've gotten 2. He has one in the vault right now.
 
I was just posting what the Fed. Res. has on their website. It doesn't say that they aren't available from them, it says they can't order them from the mint any more.
It was interesting to me that they would steer the public in the direction of coin dealers in the yellow pages!
Believe me, I am not looking for them - got too many already!
Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom