What's new

Im not so sure about this silver find today...could be a low grade? ..just not sure

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not so sure about this silver find today...could be a low grade? ..just not sure

Hi,

I'm wondering if there are lower grades of silver than the usual .925...think I read somewhere that there is.

Anyway, this morning I dropped Hank off at the golf course and headed for a near-by beach for mostly dry sand detecting as the tide was at its highest. Later did a bit of wet as the tide receded.

Found a '57 "Roosie and an earring ..both in dry sand

Problem with the earring is that there is no stamping , but tested + for silver ...still I question the grade of the silver. There were some rusty spots on the earring when I pulled it from the sand..possibly was near some iron:dontknow:.

I kinda think with secure manner that the pretty stones are set, and also the weight , that it is some quality of silver.

Well, here's a couple of pics

If anyone has info on silver grades...please share ; otherwise I'll check some internet sites.

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

DSCF3100.webp

DSCF3104.webp

DSCF3096.webp
 
Upvote 0
I am guessing it's plated. I have never run across anything other than 925.
 
I know that foreign jewelry and custom made jewelry will usually not be stamped and as for other then 925 the only one I've come across is 950 Mexican silver. Thought I had a platinum but knew it was silver by the purplish gray color. Research and jeweler confirmed it was 950 Mexican silver. Kinda contradicts that foreign jewelry isn't usually stamped huh?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
That's a nice looking earring! Congrats!
 
Good looking ring!
 
sometimes that 925 stamp is hard to find and see nice finds congrats on your silver
 
Sometimes on finer rings the sterling stamp gets polished out!
Beautiful little ring!
 
its nice looking Lorraine congrats
 
I tend to agree with you that it is probably plated; I did one final test on the earring...submerged it in clear ammonia to see if any silver content would react with the copper content , and the test was positive showing a blue tinge to the ammonia from the reaction of both elements, but with still some of those rusty stains, I also think that it is plated.

I'll find out when I send it in for melt value

Here's a pic of the chemical reaction

DSCF3105.webp


I am guessing it's plated. I have never run across anything other than 925.
 
I have found several rings that tested + for silver using the acid test, but a jeweler friend of mine said that the rings were plated with a very Heavy silver plating. I agree with your findings Lorraine, pretty but plated. :hello:
 
Hi L , your still getting more silver than me ! =D
 
Nice finds. I have come across several pieces that I questioned. Some of which I refer to as "Avon" silver. But I still toss them in the melt bucket.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom