What's new

Impaired Proof Half Dollars

greencopper

Greenie
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I am wondering if Impaired proof half dollars have any value? I go through boxes of half dollars and regularly I come across these. Some are in very good condition most are kind of banged up. Are they worth keeping? Is there a market for these?
 
Upvote 0
No market. No one wants to buy a scratched up proof. I've been assembling and upgrading a set of impaired proofs found while CRH'ing just for fun. Only costs me the face value and I find it a challenge to finding the highest grade impaired proofs for the set. The replaced impaired proofs go off to the wild.
 
I keep them if they're in very nice shape. I'd like to assemble a set of dates from '71-present if possible. I have thrown a couple of bad ones back into the wild. They were really scratched and you could barely tell that they were proofs.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Obsessedwithsilver,

Those pre-71 proofs are bad luck, silver content doesn't matter. You should definitely throw them back into circulation. Fortunately, I've never run into one. :wink:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Kantuckkeean said:
I keep them if they're in very nice shape. I'd like to assemble a set of dates from '71-present if possible. I have thrown a couple of bad ones back into the wild. They were really scratched and you could barely tell that they were proofs.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
Why do you only want a clad set? Have you no faith? HH Mark
 
I was only foolin' around. I'd love to find a silver proof. I just haven't been so fortunate yet.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
In 1976, some of the halves from the San Fran. mint were silver clad (40%). Then in 1992, some halves from the San Fran. mint were made of 90% silver.
 
I actually picked up not one, but two 1976 40% silver clads in the same roll that I got the 1970 silver proofs. Some kid must have stolen dad's coin collection.

OWS
 
Kantuckkeean said:
In 1976, some of the halves from the San Fran. mint were silver clad (40%). Then in 1992, some halves from the San Fran. mint were made of 90% silver.

There are several S mint proof years after 1992 that are 90 percent silver. They are easy to spot. All the ones I have found had scratches, but at least they are silver.


greencopper said:
I am wondering if Impaired proof half dollars have any value? I go through boxes of half dollars and regularly I come across these. Some are in very good condition most are kind of banged up. Are they worth keeping? Is there a market for these?


If you are just talking about value as in selling them to a coin dealer, etc., then even the decent proofs you find will not be worth much. I keep all the nice proofs I find, but I know that no dealers around here will buy them from me since they can break open a proof set that only cost a few dollars if they want one bad enough.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom