In 6 Months I Go Mobile, Touring the USA for a Year, Detecting and Fishing

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 1989 GMC conversion van back in 2007 for the purpose of turning it into a solar bugout van and touring the country. Over the past 2 years I have just about completed it.

Im starting in Corpus Christi for a couple months, then heading to the Grand Canyon for a month, then up to the Northwest, across the country on the North East side during the summer, heading down to Florida for the winter, then back up to Maine and that area for the next summer.

This is the project I have been planning for over a decade and it's why I took up metal detecting not long ago so I could get skilled in it before I set out on my adventure.

The van is loaded... more than any other van I have seen in person yet. I went all James Bond on it. I will be good for long stays away from electricity with the 400 Watts of solar.

I'm psyched!

Maybe I can meet some of you along the way.

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have fun.. I an sure that van has been a labor of love that past cpl of years and when you finally get it to where you want it you will feel kind of empty because it was so enjoyable working on it and it's finally done.. Working on it and making sure you have all the comforts and backup systems you think are necessary makes the project not only challenging but fun. I am sure you will plenty of people in awe of your van and aside from that you can go metal detecting anywhere you please.

The best part about retirement is enjoying what you do and doing what you want when you want. Last summer I went on a 15000 mile road trip that covered 26 states and threw in some metal detecting to boot. Didn't find anything significant but it's all about the hunt. This fall I am headed to AZ and NV to detect for gold but more because I love wandering through the desert.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun.. I an sure that van has been a labor of love that past cpl of years and when you finally get it to where you want it you will feel kind of empty because it was so enjoyable working on it and it's finally done.. Working on it and making sure you have all the comforts and backup systems you think are necessary makes the project not only challenging but fun. I am sure you will plenty of people in awe of your van and aside from that you can go metal detecting anywhere you please.

The best part about retirement is enjoying what you do and doing what you want when you want. Last summer I went on a 15000 mile road trip that covered 26 states and threw in some metal detecting to boot. Didn't find anything significant but it's all about the hunt. This fall I am headed to AZ and NV to detect for gold but more because I love wandering through the desert.

I'm not retired... I'm 49. I will be working part time along the way. I look at it like this... It's actually cheaper to stay at camp sites than it is to rent a place so why not be a gypsy for a year or so and see the entire country.

Yes, it has been a labor of love. I have enjoyed most of it; except for the window tinting I hate tinting windows. I did everything myself from making the curtains on my sewing machine to building the 350 small block and slapping it in. It took me months of research into just solar to do it right. It's really hard to fit an entire house worth of stuff into a van.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you left some room for the metal detectors and fishing rods!
One humble suggestion from a recently retired biologist who has transported live fish for decades is to skip the fish tank idea and use artificials only. Live fish need dissolved oxygen and cool temperatures. You could use an oxygen tank for the O2 but cooling the water is tough. Aerators and agitators just don't give you enough oxygen - a common mistake made by poorly run fishing tournaments. Also, without a biofilter, the waste products build up quickly.
Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you left some room for the metal detectors and fishing rods!
One humble suggestion from a recently retired biologist who has transported live fish for decades is to skip the fish tank idea and use artificials only. Live fish need dissolved oxygen and cool temperatures. You could use an oxygen tank for the O2 but cooling the water is tough. Aerators and agitators just don't give you enough oxygen - a common mistake made by poorly run fishing tournaments. Also, without a biofilter, the waste products build up quickly.
Please keep us posted.

I am buying a 8x10 enclosed trailer that I will be using to carry all my stuff in. Yea I'm pretty familiar with transporting live bait and shrimp. I estimate that by the time I was 18 years old I had fished well in excess of 10,000 hours... and I'm 49 now.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am buying a 8x10 enclosed trailer that I will be using to carry all my stuff in. Yea I'm pretty familiar with transporting live bait and shrimp. I estimate that by the time I was 18 years old I had fished well in excess of 10,000 hours... and I'm 49 now.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions when you design your fish tank. I published in Progressive Fish Culturist about transporting difficult species. A few suggestions: round or oval tank is best (no corners), dark color calms the fish, a touch of salt reduces stress. Already mentioned oxygen (our hatchery used medical grade rented bottles but you can purchase too).

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to PM me if you have questions when you design your fish tank. I published in Progressive Fish Culturist about transporting difficult species. A few suggestions: round or oval tank is best (no corners), dark color calms the fish, a touch of salt reduces stress. Already mentioned oxygen (our hatchery used medical grade rented bottles but you can purchase too).

I appreciate it but I'm not making a tank... I have special bait buckets I made. One for salt water and one for fresh. When I transport bait it is usually not for more than an hour at the very most, then the bait gets used.

Shrimp is a little more complicated to keep alive... they require cold and LOTS of O2 or they die quick. My newest shrimp well will have an inner compartment for the shrimp and and outer one for ice to keep them nice and cold.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice build. If for some odd reason you pass through the SF Bay area I'd be down for a meet and greet.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice build. If for some odd reason you pass through the SF Bay area I'd be down for a meet and greet.

Just so happens the Golden Gate bridge is something on my list to cross... My only beef about coming to CA is the gun laws... I live in Texas where it's totally legal to carry in your vehicle and I don't wanna be traveling around unprotected. I don't particularly like being told I have to be defenseless.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is awesome, wish I could do it. You have planted the seed in my mind.

Send me a PM when your going through Georgia to Florida. I'm at Fort Benning, Columbus GA.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would seriously consider a 12 volt rooftop evaporative cooler. I cool my whole house with an evaporative cooler window unit, granted it is an 115v unit. They only work in extremely dry climates. Way cheaper than than central A/C unit the house came with. example is below...

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Turb...41&sr=8-8&keywords=12+volt+evaporative+cooler

Can't... whole roof is taken up by solar panels. There is a window unit in the back window that cools it down very nicely in there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome project! :occasion14:

Enjoy the adventure of a lifetime!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread